CentOS 4.2 - Swap Needed or Not?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by d3m0nic, Feb 1, 2006.

1. d3m0nic

d3m0nic New Member

Hi, i wanted to know if a Swap partition is needed. I've installed CentOS 4.2 ServerCD and this comes without GUI, exept installation. I believe it's called a level 3 or init3 system. (still new at this) :D

CentOS 4.2. is very much like Fedora. I've read the Fedora Perfect Setup C4 tutorial. The pictures are very familiar to me, but i'm kind of lost when it comes to disk setup. I know how to do the partitioning, but does a LAMP system with a couple of web sites configured by ISPConfig, need a Swap partition or is a small /boot partition (100MB) and the rest to / enough.

Thanks

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

It's highly recommended to have swap, unless you have lots of (I mean lots of) RAM.
    Swap is needed when your applications need more memory than you have RAM. Then parts of what is in RAM are written to swap.

Also, if you want to do such things like suspend-to-disk (e.g. with a notebook), then you also need swap (which then must be at least the size of your RAM).

3. d3m0nic

d3m0nic New Member

Thanks for the quick response... i don't know why, but i just thought a web server without graphical interface, games or gimp-like programs wouldn't need a Swap partition. I guess i was wrong!

Thanks... and i like... no, LOVE you ISPConfig program! (when i get it running :D)