Centos 6.0 support

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by Acid_Scorpion, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Acid_Scorpion

Acid_Scorpion New Member

Hi, good devs!
    When you planing to make support for CentOS 6.0?

...and thanks for your perfect web panel!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

As it has just been released, we will start working on it soon. But it is possible that ISPConfig 3 already works with CentOS 6.0 - you might want to try it out. :)

3. sygram

sygram Member

Is it sure that ispconfig 2 will not work with centos 6 ?

4. falko

This thread is about ISPConfig 3. But we are also working on CentOS 6.0 support for ISPConfig 2 (but with the latest version, 2.2.39, it does not work - I tested yesterday). We will release a new ISPConfig 2 with support for CentOS 6.0 propably next week.

5. isn

isn Member

I've actually played around with this a bit.

Here is the problem list:
    1) Tried php53 packages from CentOS on 5.6. There are a few dependencies that work only with the stock php 5.1. mbcrypt and such. Those packages will probably have to be recompiled from source. Have not gotten there yet.
    2) squirrelmail absolutely does not want to work with php 5.2 or 5.3 on 5.6
    3) squirrelmail is not even included in CentOS 6. It is reportedly not working when users compile the source. Same error I got running it on CentOS 5.6

I think this is something that can be worked through but a new build procedure will need to be cooked up. Squirrelmail can probably be hacked into working and the squirrelmail folks are probably working on that themselves.

My problem is squirrelmail is getting a little old and creaky. I can't set up rules like I can on yahoo and gmail to filter my mail. There is a package for this, but it requires a daemon running and listening. This creates a security problem.

If you don't mind google reading your mail, its pretty easy to host your mail on google. I actually recommended this approach to a start up that wanted to get googles attention. It took six weeks for google to be in contact. So much for privacy. The gmail feature set is far superior to squirrelmail.

Tonight I plan to set up a centos 6 box at home with 64 bit release and begin the process of hacking this together. I'm not sure I'm up for writing the cook book.

In practice I won't use a dot zero OS release for my production environment anyway, but knowing how to do this is important to me. If update 1 is stable and I can run all my stuff, I might consider it.

I'm trying to avoid the concept of running a 5.6 virtual machine to support the php 5.1 stuff. Squirrelmail is a major hangup for me because my most important customer, my wife uses it. My wordpress blogs all require php 5.2.4 or above to work as does my Joomla 1.6 (wanting) customer.

SEP

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  6. falko

I've played around with CentOS 6.0 as well because I wanted to write a "Perfect Server" tutorial for CentOS 6.0 and ISPConfig 3. I had to stop because lots of packages seem to be missing, for example there's no getmail, and, even worse, no amavisd-new! :( Maybe these packages will be available in a few days or weeks, but until then, the "Perfect Server" will have to wait. :(

7. isn

isn Member

We can't compile getmail from source?

Bummer.

What about ISPCONFIG3 using PHP53 on Centos 5.6? That seems possible if the squirrelmail annoyances can be bypassed.

8. Acid_Scorpion

Acid_Scorpion New Member

Hi, if you have a trouble with our old friend SquirrelMail, then I can suggest you to try Roundcube webmail. Pretty nice interface. I have used it for some short time and it's look quite good.

Question for top level developers. What about to include it to ISPConfig installation?
    Actually It's in EPEL repo.

9. falko

Yes, that's possible as follows:

Code:
    cd /tmp
    wget http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/old-versions/getmail-4.20.3.tar.gz
    tar xvfz getmail-4.20.3.tar.gz
    cd getmail-4.20.3
    python setup.py build
    python setup.py install
    But amavisd-new plays a central role in the setup, and I don't want to compile everything from the sources. I think the missing packages will be available in a few days or weeks (for example, for RedHat 6.0 there's an amavisd-new package), so I will wait and write the tutorial then.

10. isn

isn Member

I totally agree. If the package exists on RHEL 6 its likely to be available soon CentOS 6. I always favor rpm based installs when possible. Got CentOS 6 running non gui on my test server yesterday. Will begin experimentation based on the 5.6 tutorial and report any insights.

SEP:D

11. jleg

jleg New Member

i wasn't aware that 'amavisd-new" ever has been in CentOS (Base-) repos? At least it's not on our mirror, and our "default-source" for 5.6 is/was rpmforge. And for CentOS6, it's now on epel:
    amavisd-new.noarch 2.6.4-2.el6 epel

squirrelmail also is on epel.

12. jleg

jleg New Member

in case you don't want to wait: i only had to add

Code:
    %{python_sitelib}/getmail-4.20.3-py2.6.egg-info
    in getmail.spec - and a simple

Code:
    rpmbuild -tb getmail-4.20.3.tar.gz
    did the job; rpm seems to be fine for me...

13. sjswarts

sjswarts New Member

Falko

Thanks for all your work first up...

But I am very keen on setting up a CentOS 6 x86_64 system running ISPConfig v3... I have purchased the book and want to install it ASAP (doesn't everyone)

When would this guide be coming out?

Cheers

Steve

14. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The CentOS Developers have not released all packages required by ISPConfig yet. Without that packages, ISPConfig can not work and we can not write a guide for it.

I highly recommend to use Debian instead. ISPConfig on Centos is known to be unstable as Centos has often package conflicts with the extrernal Centos repositories which will cause the setup to fail on Centos upgrdaes. So if your system should be used as production system, then use debian

15. isn

isn Member

I have had next to zero issues with ISPConfig on Centos.

Minor issue with Subversion having to be excluded from yum updates and a need to back up the postfix configuration files before update and restore them after.

All and all an excellent product on CentOS and I'm hoping to assist with moving it to CentOS 6.:D

Debian is a good platform but I have found CentOS to be a more stable LAMP environment.

Still concerned about squirrelmail being dropped, though there is an alternative posted earlier in this thead. Wondering how the mail migration will go. My 10 year old daughter wants a squirrelmail account on my server because she likes the logo!:D

16. isn

isn Member

http://www.roundcube.net/?p=screens

Roundcube looks more capable than squirrelmail, which as I've said lacks modern filters available in gmail and yahoo.

Google lets you host your mail with them, just change the mx records and allow a 1 line text ad. That sort of guts ISPCONFIG functionality though.

I recommend it be evaluated as an alternative to squirrelmail in the ISPCONFIG space.

Of course a procedure would need to be written to migrate the users mail from squirrelmail to roundcube "containers" <runs and hides>

SEP

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  17. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

RUN FOREST RUN! :D

I'm throwing Horde/IMP on the table

/me runs and hides with isn ..

18. falko

I've managed to set up a CentOS 6.0 server with ISPConfig 3 (thanks to the EPEL repository). Will publish the guide later today. :)

19. falko

20. sjswarts

sjswarts New Member