Change minimum user name length

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by skeeta, Aug 24, 2005.

1. skeeta

skeeta New Member

Hi All

Can I change some configuration file to allow 3 letter usernames (ie les, bob & sue) as I am trying to convert an existing site without upsetting the users!

Thanks for your time.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You have to chnage the ISPConfig code, in the file:

/home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/plugins/isp_username.plugin.php

change line 138 from:

Code:
    if(!preg_match("/^[a-z][\w\.\-\_]{3,64}$/",$user_prefix . $username)) {
    to:

Code:
    if(!preg_match("/^[a-z][\w\.\-\_]{2,64}$/",$user_prefix . $username)) {

3. domino

domino New Member

By changing the code above, am I correct to assume that the normal/default login for webmail and ftp can be changed to just a username? Or better yet, firstname_lastname? Please tall me it's possible!? :eek:

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

If you don't want the prefix then you can leave empty the field User Prefix under Management -> System Config -> Settings -> ISP Manager.

5. domino

domino New Member

Yes, I know where that is. But I was under the impression that the prefix was manditory. Thanks again for pointing this out. I suppose there would be some slight implication by not providing a prefix?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The only problem you might get, is if you have two users withe the name "jones", both would try to get the username "jones". Then the controlpanel denys the second one with an error message like "username jones already exists". This might confuse your customers because they cant see the user jones in the users list, when it belongs to another customer :D

7. domino

domino New Member

Point taken till. But I don't think that applies to me as I don't have clients. Only friends and family, so I have full control on who I want to register and what names I want to give them.

Others might take heed to your posts though. As for myself, I just want to make this as least painfull to my computer illiterate parents and friends. :cool: