changing password in multi server environment ispconfig3

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ginner159, May 20, 2014.

1. ginner159

ginner159 New Member

Hi all,

After realising that my admin password naming scheme was not a great thing to do when setting up servers in a multi-server environment i'm wondering what commands / steps i need to take in order to change all my services to using a strong but unified password. Im doing this to make it easier to add new servers and make my life easier (if i ever have 50 servers with different passwords lol)

currently i have my main server running ispconfig3 control panel, web server, 1st name server, mail server and mysql

second server as 2nd name server

and want to add in a 3rd server for redundancy but want to sort out this first

i'm assuming i cant just use passwd newpass then change mysql via phpmyadmin

so again what do i need to change to achieve this?

thanks,
    Matt

2. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Don't do that. You should never use the same password for multiple servers.

Besides of that:
    The root password can be changed using passwd without affecting anything else. The MySQL root password needs to be adjusted in ISPConfig, too and you'd have to check if you use any other services that need the MySQL root user.

ISPConfig uses /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf

3. ginner159

ginner159 New Member

ahh ok i knew i was doing something right :D

so if i were to change my root pass in mysql i would need to update the file as you have shown. i just installed as the perfect server tutorials said so not too sure on what but im guessing mail does and pureftpd (or is that delt with ispconfig)