Chroot SSH + ISPConfig

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Norman, May 17, 2006.

1. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, that's no problem.

2. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

Ok..so

I guess no one knows how to fix this? I have the same problem on all three of my ISPConfig installs. Two Ubuntu 6.06 and one Debian 3.1.

3. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

OK, totally frustrated now. I'm not sure why I can't get any help on this issue, but it's been what...two weeks messing with this?

I hate to do this but I'm going to have to leave ISPConfig over this. I simply cannot run a hosting site that allows users to stomp all over each other's home directories. I'm really against leaving ISPConfig because I'm a huge open source supporter and I'm going to have to go with a proprietary system for this, but I see no option. Not being able to chroot SSH users is a fatal flaw.

Does anyone have ANY last things I can try before I start rebuilding my server? Anything at all...?????

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Chrooting SSH users is really easy, I dont know why it works not for you on your system. The only thin you have to do is to compile a SSH daoemon with chroot SSH support and then enable chrooting in ISPConfig. I've done this on many servers and it always worked prefectly for me.

5. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

I agree that I seem to be having more problems than some, but I now have three ISPConfig boxes which exhibit the same symptoms. CHROOTing doesn't work on any of them.

I followed Falko's tutorial (was it Falkos?) on installing the CHROOT environment in Debian. There were no obvious errors during the install and it seemed to go as planned.

I then enabled the chroot setting in the /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/ispconfig.inc.php file by setting it to 1.

When I create new users, their passwd entry looks like this:

Code:
    username:x:10009:10004:Working User:/var/www/web4/user/username/./:/bin/bash
    (I've munged the username) but the '.' part is there which seems to be correct.

The CHROOT scripts seem to be copied over correctly as I see etc, bin, lib directories in the site's home directory.

Yes, whenever a user attempts to log in, they are punted with the error that /bin/bash cannot be found.

The bin directory in the site's home dir contains:
    Code:
    drwxr-xr-x   2 root             root    4096 Mar 24 11:01 .
    drwxr-xr-x  12 munged.com web11   4096 Mar 25 11:41 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x   1 root             root  625228 Mar 25 11:35 bash
    -rwxr-xr-x   1 root             root   75948 Mar 25 11:35 ls
    -rwxr-xr-x   1 root             root   20888 Mar 25 11:35 mkdir
    -rwxr-xr-x   1 root             root   55340 Mar 25 11:36 mv
    -rwsr-xr-x   1 root             root   30764 Mar 25 11:36 ping
    -rwxr-xr-x   1 root             root   13848 Mar 25 11:36 pwd
    -rwxr-xr-x   1 root             root   30712 Mar 25 11:36 rm
    -rwxr-xr-x   1 root             root  163852 Mar 25 11:36 tar
    So...I'm lost. Everything seems to be set up OK - but user's can't log in.

That's what I need help troubleshooting. There must be some reason why user accounts can't find /bin/bash once chrooted.

I am *extremely* motivated to fix this as I really can't fathom how I'm going to move my entire infrastructure off of ISPConfig.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Are you really sure that you run the SSHD that you compiled with chroot support and not accidently your old sshd?

Please post the output of:

locate sshd

(you must have the locate tool installed for this and maybe its a good idea to run the "updatedb" command before you execute the locate command.)

7. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

I never thought of that. I assumed the new installation of the patched SSH would overwrite the old one.

I don't see more than one, though....do you?

Code:
    rex:/# locate sshd
    /etc/logwatch/conf/services/sshd.conf
    /etc/logwatch/conf/services/sshd2.conf
    /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    /usr/local/share/man/man5/sshd_config.5
    /usr/local/share/man/man8/sshd.8
    /usr/sbin/sshd
    /usr/share/logwatch/scripts/services/sshd
    /usr/share/logwatch/scripts/services/sshd2
    /usr/share/man/man5/sshd_config.5.gz
    /usr/share/man/man8/sshd.8.gz
    /usr/share/vim/vim63/syntax/sshdconfig.vim
    /var/run/sshd
    /var/run/sshd.pid

8. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

Solved!

Got it!

The file ld-linux.so.2 isn't being copied into the chrooted lib/ when new users are created. Without it, bash fails.

I'll investigate why this is and try to fix it. I assume I can add it to the create_chroot_env.sh script...

Edit:

There are actually two libraries that bash requires which are not copied over for some reason. They ARE listed in ldd so I don't know why they don't copy.

As a temporary kludgy hack, I have added the following two lines to /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/create_chroot_env.sh

Code:
    cp /lib/ld-linux.so.2 ./lib/ 
    cp lib/tls/libdl.so.2 ./lib/tls/

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007