clamd 63% Ram

Discussion in 'General' started by zapyahoo, Feb 20, 2022.

Tags:
  1. zapyahoo

zapyahoo Member

Hello guys,

Already found the issue being mentioned here:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/solved-clamscan-is-killing-vps.87335/#post-425269
    Clamd is an issue in AWS small VPS with 2GB of Ram (kinda sucks if you want a small web tests / dev machine). I've also tested with a 4GB medium instance and everything runs smoothly...

I used for the first time the ISPConfig auto install on a debian 11... Wow, I would like to thank you guys, fast and easy to deploy. I used this command to install a "web" only machine (maybe I should have removed php5.6 and php7.3):

wget -O - https://get.ispconfig.org | sh -s -- --no-dns --no-mail --no-firewall --no-roundcube --no-mailman --use-ftp-ports=50000-60000 --unattended-upgrades

My question relates if clamd / freshclam is being used for web FTP scan? Would the clamav-daemon be safe to remove from startup?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

What is "web FTP scan"?
    Clamd indeed needs memory, Can you create that VPS instance with 4 GB swap? That would stop it running out of memory.
    I would add the swap and continue using clamd. But if you decide you do not need clamd then it can be removed. I think if you just remove it from startup then ISPConfig monitor complains clamd is not running.

3. zapyahoo

zapyahoo Member

Thanks Taleman. web FTP :) would be the pure-ftp server managing website client ftp connections to upload files.
    Is the clamd use in ISPConfig install more related to mail server / client?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Clamd is used in the mails etup only, if you don't use mail, then you can stop clamd service.

5. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Alternately, if you wish to have your Web files scanned by clamav, you can install maldet and use that easily perform the scans. I have never looked into incorporating it right with the FTP server, but that is incomplete as it leaves out many other ways to upload files - use via maldet (both via inotify interface and periodic rescans) will cover all ways files may be added.

6. onastvar

onastvar Member

Since Clamd is using 1.4GB of RAM in my VPS in my setup, could it be stopped so it does not scan mail?

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You cited the answer to your question.

8. onastvar

onastvar Member

I cited it because it said "if you don't use mail", in my case I do use mail. I was just trying to find out / double check if OK to stop clamd if I use mail & rspamd. Also when stopping clamd what other files are needed to be modified for email/postfix+rspamd to continue working w/o issues? Thanks in advance.