Clarify what type of ips are needed.

Discussion in 'General' started by j.turner, Apr 23, 2007.

1. j.turner

j.turner New Member

It may be confusing to novice admins (raises hand) on what ip to input, internal or external

2. AlArenal

AlArenal New Member

Ehm.. what do you mean with "internal" and "external"?

3. j.turner

j.turner New Member

Internal Network IP

Internal network ip like 192.168.1.107
    The external ip for that computer network is 66.69.71.250
    All computers on a network have an different internal ip, and the gateway of that network has one external ip.

4. AlArenal

AlArenal New Member

ISPConfig is meant to run for example on a dedicated server by some ISP. In that case it is connected to the internet by at least one interface with at least one official and dedicated IP. In most cases it is only one network card and one IP address. So there would not be "internal" or "external" stuff.

I'm not sure in which case an internet server would have a internal IP to a second network, other than that it may have a second network card attached to a storage network (for internal backups and administration by the ISP).
    Such setups should rarely be seen and only in cases where the sysadmin knows about his job.

But because an internet server is meant to serve to the internet ( ;) ) only addresses that are reachable by the internet are of any interest at all.

5. j.turner

j.turner New Member

Thanks

Very nice and well said. I have a special case because my college class is coding in ruby on rails, and I wanted to setup a home server (behind my home network) which would save me the trouble of my colleagues messing up our shared class server.

But since ispconfig has a dedicate purpose, this thread can be disregarded.:cool:

6. AlArenal

AlArenal New Member

But for a simple setup you would not have to mess around with all the bloat of such a software.

Just for learning purposes and playing around the webserver that comes with RoR (WebRick, if I remember right) is enough. All you'd need at home would be a system running it, getting a pseudo-static external IP (via DynDNS for example), configuring port-forwarding of your router, ....

...or maybe just use the free VMWare Player and download a already setup VMWare image with all you need (or all you can easily install) for RoR.

7. Leszek

Leszek Member

Recently I was testing ISPConfig on VMware server.It was configured with an internal IP and some of the needed ports were forwarded so they could be seen outside of my virtual LAN.This is important when You are behind a router (like my virtual machine was).Your server is more secure this way.
    It's not a problem to set everything up and work on it and it's fun too.
    In that case I've entered an internal IP in ISPConfig.

8. j.turner

j.turner New Member

Setup

Webrick is a server I could have written in vb.net. However this is our setup.
    I have setup my vacant computer with perfect feisty ubuntu setup.

Then I installed ispconfig. Then mod_proxy_balancer and a few mongrel instances later we have a high performance ror server ready to go. I just put the computer in the dmz instead of port forwarding just so I can keep my options open if I wanted to install other services, although a tunnel could fix remedy that.

I had to tell ispconfig to use internal ports. Although with the dmz you would think it would sit next to the router instead of behind it. But its simulated I guess.

Although its only temporary, hopefully my ISP hopefully wont get mad. And ten of my classmates offered paying 10$ a month to switch to it. (its a big 100+ class) @ University of Texas.

Why use ispconfig in the first place? For the user interface and reseller abilities of course. Plus it's ease of install once you have the perfect setup.

Cheers.

9. tristanlee85

tristanlee85 New Member

I run ISPConfig on a server from my apartment. My WAN address is 24.95.47.77 which goes to my router. The router has 4 computers connected to it: 192.168.1.110 (my desktop), 192.168.1.130 (my server), 192.168.1.105 (my laptop) and 192.168.1.120 (goes to my roommate's router).

Is this kind of what you are talking about? If so, yes it's possible.

10. j.turner

j.turner New Member

Yeah thats what I was talking about. I had confusion because I lasped the thought of this software only catering to dedicated servers. I posted a help thread in general questions. Then I solved it myself, then I suggested that this feature be turned on on this thread. But since this software is for dedicated servers primarily, people probably do not want to put this feature in.

All is good now. treads done.

11. tristanlee85

tristanlee85 New Member

Oh, what feature did you have to do? When adding any sites, I just selected my local IP as the IP for the new domain and then I went into the DNS manager and gave it my WAN address for the domain and I've never had problems.

12. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

When creating a web site in ISPConfig, you must use one of the IP addresses that you see in the
    Code:
    ifconfig
    output, so if your server is behind a router, that's a private IP address.
    But for DNS records, you should always use a public IP address.