client directory structure in ispconfig 3

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by MrM, Mar 28, 2009.

1. MrM

MrM New Member

Indeed, a poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was reinstall. ;)

2. MrM

MrM New Member

Hi, I would like to inquire if the feature request I submitted 3 months ago (FS#674 : Add more variables to the Website path) is being considered, or has perhaps already been implemented in a new version.

What I would like to ultimately achieve, is to basically nowhere use/see IDs. This includes any directories, shell users/groups, database names, database users, ftp users, etc. I think using IDs in these places greatly reduces readability and coherence. Instead of IDs, custom (meaningful) names should be used.

At the moment, if I wish to browse a certain database in phpmyadmin for example, I first have to learn the ID of the site in question. Same goes for directories, users, etc.

So, I actually have two questions now:
    1. Is my feature request being considered?
    2. Is it possible to get rid of IDs as described above?

Thanks in advance!

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You should take a closer look at your ispconfig. ISPConfig is createing symlinks with names everywere, so you can browser evry directory by name and not ID. Also clinet names can be used in database names instead ID's. But its not recommended as this can cause you a lot of problems when the client change its name and then parts of its websites stop if the database and mysql user gets renamed too.

4. MrM

MrM New Member

Hi, till,

The one thing I really liked about cPanel (and not much else), was how it handled this particular issue. Upon creating a new site, you would assign a unique username to it, which would then be used everywhere: as the ssh/ftp login, database name and user prefix, directory name, shell user, etc. This makes for a very well organised and coherent system, easy to navigate through.

Would something like that not be possible with ispconfig as well? Assigning a unique (string) identifier to each client and website, to be used throughout the system?