Config PHP with MySQL

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ProTrooper, Oct 5, 2005.

1. ProTrooper

ProTrooper New Member

I have a quick question. If I am going to have an external MySQL server (ie not on localhost) do I need to install PHP with "--with-mysql"? If so, what part of MySQL do I need installed on localhost to have the client libraries?

Thanks,
    James

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You always need that if you want to work with MySQL in PHP!

You should install the MySQL-devel packages to be able to compile PHP with MySQL. Please have a look at "The Perfect Setup" series on HowtoForge. I'm sure your distribution is also covered there, and the howtos show how to install the appropriate MySQL-devel package.

3. ProTrooper

ProTrooper New Member

Okay thanks. I am doing a different setup than the "perfect setup" on a CentOS. I am trying to have a seperate database server.

mysql is a dependacy of mysql-devel. So do I need to install mysql server but just not run it?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I'am not shure how CentOS named the packages, but mysql is mostly the name of the mysql (client) librarys and mysql-server is the name of the mysql server so you must install the mysql package to get a working PHP + mysql installation.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

If CentOS is using the same package names than Fedora, then the packages you have to install are:
    mysql, mysql-devel, mysql-server