configuration for PHP question...

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by renzda2nd, Feb 15, 2006.

1. renzda2nd

renzda2nd New Member

hey guys,

we currently have a web and email server running on Fedora Core 3, with Qmail and Horde (Imp, Turba, Kronolith, etc) as our web based email client in the office. (note: the network admin left for greener pasture and i was left to learn linux on my own real quick...:confused: )

i need to do some installations, setup and configurations on the server so i decided to build a parallel server that is almost similar to the current one. This is where i will do all my tests so as not to screw up the good one.

i followed the Fedora Core 4 Perfect Setup by sir falko (minus the installation of DNS, Postfix and ISPConfig) and all is well. Now, for me to complete the installation of Qmail and Horde, i need to run the ./configure command. My (stupid??) question is, following the howto of falko, where can i find the PHP source directory where i could run the ./configure command to compile php? or is there another way of doing this?

by the way, i am quite a newbie to linux but this has not discouraged me to start learning NOW...:)

Any input to my query would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

PHP is already installed. Why do you want to compile it again?

3. renzda2nd

renzda2nd New Member

sir,

on the installation howto of Horde, it requires me to re-compile php. knowing that i did already install php as per your howto, i skipped the procedure in the Horde howto... Horde didn't work... when i access the test.php page for Horde on a pc on our network, it displays the code and not the page normally seen on the web. since the php re-compilation was the only process i skipped for Horde, I kind of assumed this was the source of my problem...

i hope i'm stating the problem correctly sir... if not, please let me know also.:)

thanks.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The problem is not the installation of PHP. In the howto, the PHP parsing is disabled because ISPConfig needs that to enable it on a per website basis. As you skipped the ISPCOnfig installation, PHP files where not parsed anymore.
    Compileing PHP wont help you with that problem, you just have to activate PHP parsing again in your httpd.conf.

Please remove the comments that you added in front of the addhandler directives as described in the howto here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_fedora_core_4_p4

5. renzda2nd

renzda2nd New Member

i see, yah i remember that part of the installation. i will try it now and see what happens...

Thanks so much! really appreciate the inputs sir...

6. renzda2nd

renzda2nd New Member

i do have some more questions though,

part of the requirements of Horde are some options to be compiled with PHP...
    (e.g. --with-apxs, --with-gettext, --with-dom... etc)

how could i know if the options are already included in the PHP installation? if its not yet included, how do i include it?

again, i beg for your indulgence...:)

thanks for the inputs sir! they are greatly appreciated...

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Just install horde, you will get PHP error messages if modules are missing. Then you can chek if there is for example an php4-gettext package for fedora 3 and install it.

8. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You could also create a file info.php with this contents:
    PHP:
    <?php
    phpinfo
    ();
    ?>
    and access it in your bowser. The page will then tell you which modules are installed.

9. renzda2nd

renzda2nd New Member

ei guys,

sorry for the delay in my reply... just to make sure i did everything right, (and just to familiarize myself more with the ins and outs of linux), i started from the top again with the Fedora Core 4 Perfect Setup. with the inclusion of your inputs of course, i am now in the process of completing the installation of Qmail... everything is working well so far... as soon as i complete the horde installation and encounter no problems, i would surely post the result again at this forum for the reference of others with similar concerns.

again, thank you for the inputs sirs falko and till... they are greatly appreciated. :)