Configure DNS for server name

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Link, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Link

Link New Member

I should start by saying, this is the first time I have tried to set up any control panel type software, and my linux experience is limited.

I have just finished following the guide through found at http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-10.04-lucid-lynx-ispconfig-3-p5 to install ispconfig 3 on a ubunta 10.4 virtual server. To be honest I didn't expect it to work anywhere near as smoothly as it did, so I wasn't worrying to much about what settings I was choosing.

Anyway, having run through everything, I don't appear to have any major issues. what I have noticed however is that in the "DNS Zone" area, the server is listed as "server1.test.com".

So I am wondering, can I change this? If so, how do I do so? I'm guessing I buy a domain from a domain registrar (I'm accessing via the IP atm), use my servers IP as the name server and somehow tell the ispconfig that the server name is now whatever domain I buy?

Also - will this be likely to cause me problems?

Anyway - Any advise on how to change this would be appreciated :)

2. lucani

lucani Member HowtoForge Supporter

1. You should add website in ISPConfig Panel with your future domain name as address of your website.

Optional (if you want use your server as DNS server of your website):
    2. You should add DNS zone (your domain) in ISPConfig Panel

3. You should change primary DNS server to your in domain registrar panel.