Configuring Getmail

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Bob White, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Bob White

Bob White Member

I've set up a server according to the article The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial Xerus) with Apache, PHP, MySQL, PureFTPD, BIND, Postfix, Dovecot and ISPConfig 3.1. I have a number of email accounts hosted at my ISP and I'd like to accumulate the email to my own server where I can read it all in one place. I don't own a domain name, but have made up one to use on the server (thecovey.net). All of the setup and configuration has gone well and I'm able to send mail from RoundCube, but I've not figured out how to actually get mail from my ISP into my inbox.

What seems to happen is that ISPConfig configures GetMail to run every 5 minutes, and it does. It pulls any email back, processes it, but when it gets passed off to Postfix, Postfix sends it off to my ISP, who rightly doesn't know what to do with a non-existent domain. Postfix winds up storing it all in a Maildir under /etc/getmail.

<I'm not yet allowed to post log file entries - the forum software seems to think it contains a link and I need to post a couple of times before it will allow me to include those lines. I'm not sure what link it's talking about, but whatever. >

It looks like Amavis is the last thing to touch the mail before it gets sent back out to my ISP. I have had a similar setup some years ago that worked just fine, although it worked with Fetchmail. I was able to retrieve mail when I manually installed and ran Fetchmail here, but would prefer to stay with what's configured in ISPConfig if at all possible. The solution is probably a simple configuration tweak, but I'm not sure where to begin with it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bob

2. Bob White

Bob White Member

Attached Files: