confused about the mail settings ofispconfig

Discussion in 'General' started by Ovidiu, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

Hi guys,

I am quite new here, Iswitched to ispconfig because the last tools I used didnot have such a nice gui and did not have quota and some other nice thingies implemented.

Now here is my question:

can someone explain whats going on behind the curtains of ispconfig regarding filtering of emails?

I mean explain a little bit the order of filters, what happens?
    -trashcan
    -clamav
    -spamassassin

who jands over the message to whom? whats trashcan? why are there now clamav x-headers so I can see the message was scanned?
    what about sa - autolearn? bayesdb for each user?

the last tools I used was very well documented and working this way:

a mail came in and was handed over to clamav, if virus found, header set, subject changed and moved into a .virus folder of the users mailbox.

if no virus found, wrote x-header, handed over to sa, wrote its x-header, tested with pyzor, razor,dcc and if spam delivered to users .spam folder taged and subject changed.

if ham landed in spam moving it to inbox was enough (cronjob running in the background to do sa-learn inbox=ham) if spam was in inbox moving to spamhad the same effect.

additionally a bayes db was used for each user (if I , the admin decided so)

maildrop was being used for mail delivery.

I could set global settings like: use bayes, number of required hits, use razor, use pyzor, use dcc, what to do with spammail and the "reseller" could change his default for his sites, and the end user finally could change it as well

any chance that works here too?

please shed some light into this matters as I really like ispconfig but I am quite confused by the documentation ;-))

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The messages are handled by procmail (postfix or sendmail => procmail as lda). To see whats going on, go to the home directory of one of your users and execute the command "ls -la" to see the scripts involved. In the file .procmailrc you can see the orders of the filters.

Trashscan is the script that calls clamAV. Trashscan is part of the clamAV package.

Inside the home directory of the user is the .user_prefs directory. There is the bayesdb stored.

To see the available options in ISPConfig, open a mailuser in the controlpanel and have a look the spamfilter tab or read the documentation, the available options are listed there.

3. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

thx,

I'll have a look at
    on the other side,you mean there is no gui forsettings except use antivirus yes/no and use sa yes/no and set the score between ham/spam ?

If I want to set other things like use razor, use pyzor, use dcc I would have to do it manually editing files? Could you at least specify where the master file is located so I do have to change only that one file and every new user gets the new settings automatically.

What about the bayes db - is there one for each mal user or one for each domain? it looks a biot strange, I have setup one domain with 2 mailusers, in the folder /var/www/domain1.com/ is a .spamassassin folder in the folder /var/www/www.web-designerz.de/user1 is no .spamassassin folder while user2 has this folder inside his homeirectory...?

shouldn't every user have one?
    seems like the user I appoint as administrator gets his settings stored inside the folder containig the domain he is administrering - can anyone confirm that?

any chance to be ableto set the antivirus and sa settings from a gui? like I want to change that virus emailget delivered into users mailbox.virusfolder...

is there a howto implement a sa-learn script, checking for mails I manually move into .spam folder learning them as spam and checking mails I move from .spam to inbox, learning them, as ham?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2005
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes. ISPConfig is open source software and you can implement functions are missing.

Please have a look in the directory /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/spamassin/ as stated in my post above. There is a directory etc inside with the global spamassassin configuration file.

One bayes DB for each user. The home directory of the administrator of a website is the root directory of this website (compare /etc/passwd).

You may extend the software if you need these functions.

I dont think that such a howto exitsts for ISPConfig.