Connecting from Win 10 with sshfs-win, only home dir accessible

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Taleman, Jun 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I'm trying to mount ISPConfig jailkitted shell users directory on Windows 10 version 2004 with sshfs-win. It works so far as it does mount the uses home directory on the File Manager, but I can see no way to access the website files. Looks like Windows File Manager considers the home directory is the root of file system, and refuses to go below that.
    I set up the Windows 10 computer using instructions here: https://github.com/billziss-gh/sshfs-win
    Instructions work and the connection is established, but I can only access files in the shell users home directory.
    What I have tried so far:
    • added \web after the windows web resource address, windows says it can not use this
    • added /web like previous, this is syntax error
    • created symlink in home directory for /web, windows File Manager refuses to follow that symlink
    • tried hard link to /web, hard link to directory is not allowed
    Base dir for shell user is /var/www/clients/client1/web2. But Windows mounts .../web2/home/username as the root directory.
    I have successfully ssh mounted with same user same website files on Linux, using Debian 10, Ubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu.20.04. No problems there.
    Any idea how to use sshfs from Windows 10 with a jailkitted shell user on an ISPConfig host?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Have you tried adding a symlink in the home dir e.g. named web that points to ../../web ?

3. Taleman

I tried symlink ../web, but Windows File Manager did not follow symlink. I'll try that ../../web tomorrow. I do not have WIndows hosts, I used friends Win 10 laptop.

4. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

I do not use it, but a quick look to the manual (section "UNC Syntax") shows that the default is to mount the home directory as root, but with sshfs.r you can mount relative to the root directory. So "\\sshfs.r\REMUSER@HOST\web" should do the trick (or without web)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    till, Taleman, ahrasis and 1 other person like this.
  5. Taleman

Ah yes, the good old cheat of reading the manual. I read it before I used sshfs-win. I should have read it also after I discovered it only shows the home directory, then I maybe had paid attention to the different syntaxes.

Steini86 likes this.