Control over Domain

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by leetcharmer, Jun 8, 2006.

1. leetcharmer

leetcharmer New Member

After going through the Perfect Setup Ubuntu 6.06, I was left wondering: How do I make that domain a reality? If I didn't register the domain with another company first, how would I go about attaining that name in the case that I wanted to *BE* that company people came to for registration and hosting? I went through www.1and1.com for my domain crossfirenow.com, and pointed the DNS to my IP, and that worked, without needing to setup zones for BIND9 -- in which case would BIND9 really become important?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can use your local BIND server for the second, third, etc. domain you want to host. Running your own DNS server gives you a higher felxibility in managing domains and when you have a higher number of domains, i will coss less then paying 1and1.com for providing m´nameservice for you.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I've just written a tutorial about how to run your own name servers with ISPConfig (and a GoDaddy account). I will publish it in the next days. It might answer some of your questions. :)

4. leetcharmer

leetcharmer New Member

when I get done with setting up my server completely, I want to write a tutorial on how I got it all in tribute to you: falko and till; you guys are my Linux Administration heros.

5. leetcharmer

leetcharmer New Member

I just e-mailed 1and1 on how I can point my domain to my DNS server and here's how that went:

*note: I originally was trying to point the domain to my DNS IP twice, which according to them, makes that invalid -- so, I asked them if I could point the second name server to theirs and use my server as DNS #1* Does this mean that I will probably need to make a backup of my server on my hosting w/ 1and1 as well?? I have sufficient space, so that's not really a problem.

Can I configure the DNS settings to allow for that second IP w/ ISPConfig?

6. falko

This simply means that you can use your ISPConfig server as primary DNS andthe 1&1 server a secondary DNS. You don't have to do anything to enable zone transfers as they're enabled automatically. :)

7. leetcharmer

leetcharmer New Member

Does this mean that I will probably need to make a backup of my server on my hosting w/ 1and1 as well??

Also, what would I need to do to give ISPConfig power of domains from scratch? Allowing it to create and make subdomains as necessary without having to go through my registrar?

8. falko

Why do you want to make a backup of your web site? It has nothing to do with DNS... :confused:

Wait a few days, and I'll post the tutorial on HowtoForge. :)

9. leetcharmer

leetcharmer New Member

Well, doesn't the secondary DNS server have to point to another IP address hosting the content? Isn't that why there are 2 DNS needed? Incase one IP goes down? If that IP were to go down, wouldn't that mean that the data would be down too?

10. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Correct, thats why it is recommended to use laways 2 DNS servers.

But, if you are running only one server with DNS, Web and Mailserver, then it does not matter if you have 2 different DNS-Servers. When your server crashes, all services will be down anyway :rolleyes:

11. KCPoole

KCPoole New Member

Hi there all

I read Falko's howto on DNS today and I might set it up for myself, but I use Zoneedit (www.zonedit.com) as my DNS provider already.

They are a free service if you have less than 5 domains, and have less than 200MB of traffic (hardly likely for DNS only).
    I have used them for home and work for about 4years and have had no problems.

Saves the hassle of setting up and maintaining your own DNS, unless you really want to of course.

If you want a low maintenance DNS then maybe look at them.

Ken