cookiebot banner

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Fenna, Aug 12, 2023.

1. Fenna

Fenna New Member HowtoForge Supporter

hi folks,
    new here on the forum. not new with howtoforge though, i have used several ittereations of the ispconfig perfect server howto's for my home server, doing a fresh install every few years. and with the recent update to ispconfig 3 i can do the upgrade to debian 12 on my server.

happy user in that regards, but i am now a bit puzzled about the cookiebot banner that will not go away on my desktop setup when i visit any of the howtoforge pages. (debian 12, xfce, firefox ESR and duck duck go extension) is there anything on my end that i need to look into or is it reletated to how the howtoforge server is setup? any clarification would be helpfull.

kind regards,
    Fenna

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The cookie bot banner should go away as soon as you have chosen the allowed cookie level and saved the changes, it works fine for me when I access the site. It is very likely an issue on your side (browser settings or plugins that might partially block cookiebot). Just a guess, maybe you configured your browser to block all cookies, and if Cookiebot cannot set a cookie for its own status, it might pop up again on the next pageview. Cookiebot is one of the most widely used GDPR consent solutions, so it should work fine. I'm sorry we must bother you with such a cookie management system. We are enforced by law to request cookie choices.

3. Fenna

Thank you Till for the quick reply.
    I have no beef with coockie walls as a mechanism (they provide a nice way to select which cookies you allow and which you do not allow) but i try to give as little consent as i can get away with.
    Even with giving full consent to howtoforge, the cookie banner still will not go away and takes up valuable screen real estate. When i click the cookiebot logo in the banner, it shows exactly my cookie preference. even after browser restart.
    As per your suggestion i will take a closer look at my settings though.

Fenna

4. Fenna

went through my settings in firefox and no-dice. Disabled the duck-duck-go extension, the firefox onboard privacy and do-not-follow settings. the banner will not go away. just for a test i installed chromium to see any differences.
    There were. In chromium i get to see adds in the banner and an x in the corner to close the banner. on firefox the entire banner is just white semi transparant space and no x in a corner to close the banner.
    So the cookiebot does seem to work as it should on chromium, but why not in firefox?

5. Fenna

hmm seems when i block all trackers in firefox (i kind of like it like that way) i don't see any adds and also not the x to close the banner.
    When i open up the lot i get to see some adds after a while and when i am lucky an x to close the banner.
    I guess i will have to deal with some half transparant white space on the page when i visit howtoforge. there are worse things. I will keep my privacy settings as they are (pretty strickt)

anyway, thanks for your time Till :)

6. till

I don't know why it does not work on your Firefox installation. I just tested here with Firefox 117.0b6 (64-bit) Developer Edition and it works fine.

7. till

Of course, you are free to use ad blockers and block cookies, but please keep in mind that the ads are what pays the authors here and also pays the support we provide for free in the forum, and nobody asks you to click on the ads. When users decide that they do not want us to get paid for the work we do here, then we either have to stop our work or start to restrict more things in regard to tutorials but also to ISPConfig support to paying subscribers only in the long run. In the end, it's in the hand of our users if we have to go that route as they must decide if they can take the burden to view some ads in exchange for not having to pay anything or if the content and services will get restricted or stopped. And btw., the ISPConfig subscription exists to view the site ad free, so if you do not want to view ads, then you can subscribe and get the site without ads plus you get the other benefits as described here: https://www.howtoforge.com/subscription/

8. Fenna

I understand that those adds pay the bill and as such i don't mind them, i just don't like them to be personalised based on tracking my web activity.
    I was not aware of the subscription posibility. You have a new subscriber now ;-)
    Fenna

till likes this.
  9. till

Thanks a lot! :)