Couldn't Stat source package

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by linds, Mar 7, 2006.

1. linds

linds New Member

I am trying to download with apt-get update on my ubuntu server and i am getting an error message W: Couldn't stat source package

Then it lists an http: location.

It also mentions something (2 No such file or directory)

I ran into this before, but I don't know what I did to resolve it? I remember I tried rebooting logging in as a different user

Am I not getting out to the internet or what could be stopping these updates?

2. linds

linds New Member

Confused

Well I reinstalled the whole thing and went through the steps on How to set up samba on ubuntu and this time I get very similiar error messages. But on the first package it tried to find and I could see the percentage slowing increasing until 50% and then it stopped and I got a bunch of error messages that said Temporary failure resolving security.ubuntu.com.

I am going to attach a picture of my screen in case seeing the rest of the error messages helps someone see and solve my problem

[​IMG]

Maybe this update is not possilbe because Ubuntu download location is down???? Just guessing.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The errors mean that you have a problem with your internet connection. If you get an error about resolving a domain, you will have to check that the nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf are working and reachable from your server.

4. linds

linds New Member

I checked the name server but how do I check if they are reachable?

I pinged the address It gave me . then I pinged it on my windows machine. I got a reply no problem? Is there a way I can test my internet connection on Linux?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  5. linds

linds New Member

It says it is a temporary failure resolving security.ubuntu.com

What would it mean by temporary?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The error message is always temporary, even if its a permanent failure. I suggest to try another nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf. Did you get more nameserver IP addresses from your provider that you cann add in the resolv.conf?

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

8. linds

linds New Member

Actually I never got a nameserver IP address? at least not that I knew of, the one in there now got there automatically. So if I ask my isp for another nameserver ip address they'll now what I mean?

9. linds

linds New Member

Falko, maybe you hit a problem, ping attempts google came back unknown and the number came back unreachable.

Name server= 66.82.4.8

It seems like I may not be connected. I have attempted several installs and the other times I was connected without even thinking about it. Might I have to do some manual configuration for my ethernet connection to be found? When installing ubuntu originally it asks a question about what I would like to use to connect between wireless and my ethernet. I don't have wireless here so I choose the ethernet. Than it always comes to a place where it tries to auto configure DCHP, it always comes back that it was unable what would I like to do, so I say retry and it comes back that it has successfully configured it.

Funny this has worked before automatically but since then I have re installed.

Not sure what I am doing wrong

I tested my machine in another network port that was definatly getting out to the internet, Negative

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  10. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer