Courier IMAP won't start

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by atjensen11, May 27, 2008.

1. atjensen11

atjensen11 New Member

My Ubuntu server is configured with this tutorial.

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-users-and-domains-with-postfix-ubuntu-7.10-p3

Last night, I performed an

Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    It appears that authmysql was upgraded as a result. This morning, it has come to my attention that Courier-IMAP is not working. When I check the listening services using netstat, the only one in the list is courier-pop. The following are all missing: courier-imap, courier-imap-ssl, courier-pop-ssl.

If I execute /etc/init.d/ on any of the missing services, I don't get any kind of confirmation that they restart, stop, start, fail, etc.

Any ideas on what I can do to get IMAP working again? My users are already complaining that Squirrelmail doesn't work due to the IMAP service not running.

Thanks.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Any errors in your logs?

3. atjensen11

atjensen11 New Member

[solved]

No, there was nothing in the logs.

I did figure out what the problem was though and how to fix it. I browsed to the /etc/init.d/ folder and then typed ls -l. I noticed that of all the files in that directory, the three services that were giving me problems all had a file size of zero bytes.

I opened each of them up and confirmed that they were empty. I can only believe that something during the apt-get upgrade caused them to be overwritten with empty files.

For each service that wasn't working (courier-imap, courier-imap-ssl, and courier-pop-ssl) I typed apt-get remove --purge [service name] and then did a reinstall. I then checked that the file in /etc/init.d/ was no longer empty, which they weren't. I performed a restart of each service and did some testing on the IMAP server and everything worked as intended.

I posted it all here just in case someone runs across the same problem down the road.

Thanks.