Create your own install disk

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mphayesuk, Feb 25, 2008.

1. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi, I hope someone out there can point me in the right direction.

What I want to do is create an installation dvd of my existing system, so I have a perfect system setup and I want to create a set of disks that would install a new system and it would be identicle to the one I have. Something like using norton ghost.

Failing that is there a way to create a installation cd that does not automatically install certain services, so if my install does not use and ftp, dns, mail services, these are not included in the initial install, without having to manually select what to install and and what not to. Again perhaps like an unattended install.

Thanks in advance
    Martin

2. topdog

topdog Active Member

If using a redhat based system then you can use kickstart to do that.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

4. cybergal

cybergal New Member

Thanks Falko for the SystemImager link and HowTo

I have one query about this, What happens if i install the Image on a New Server whose hardware is different?
    example my Golden Client is Celeron with 512MB ram, 80gb hdd and the NewServer is Core2Duo with 1gb ddr2, 250gb Sata.

Since you have much practical experience on this, how to tackle this type of hardware change?

(for Windoze systems i have experience of ghosting around, but never done on linux system)

Thanks

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Should work without problems, unless the image has no drivers for the new hardware. I have done this and didn't have problems, but that depends on your hardware and the drivers that the images uses.