creating www2 website

Discussion in 'General' started by crypted, Sep 8, 2010.

1. crypted

crypted Member

How would one setup just a www2.domain.tld website?

The user does not need DNS, EMAIL, WWW, or anything like that. He just wants to mirror his website as a www2 or something like that.

I've tried to search the forum but haven't seen much on how to change that up.

I'm assuming I can just create a normal website and use "VHOST *." and it would operate normally so long as he points his DNS for www2 to that IP?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Click on new website, enter www2.domain.tld into the domain field and click on save.

3. Toucan

Toucan Member

I presume you want the mirror reachable from the web? Don't forget to make a dns record for the mirror domain

4. crypted

crypted Member

Well being that the DNS is with the original site, I couldn't do that. However, I did pass on the proper IP to be set on his DNS server.

5. Toucan

Toucan Member

Crypted, I can't stop thinking about this one. Surely, if on the original dns server, dns host records were created for www2 pointing to the ip of that server then www2 and www.domain.com would both be available all the time?

Till, I presume you can point a subdomain to a different ip of the main domain?

6. crypted

crypted Member

Well Apache might answer to all of those, BUT it wouldn't work that way. The reason being if his DNS only shows www2 pointing to the secondary server, the world will always look for WWW and what not on the primary server as the DNS record indicates.

So you could have *.domain.com on server 2, but only the specifically forwarded sub domain will load on server 2.

7. Toucan

Toucan Member

Yes, I think we had crossed wires on our intended goals .
    I thought you wanted www on his other server and a mirror on yours as www2 both co existing and available with the likes of google learning of both sites.

Glad you got it sorted now