DataLogStatus

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by Pascal Dreissen, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Pascal Dreissen

Pascal Dreissen New Member

Can anyone of the main developers tell me why the DataLogStatus has been hidden from an Admin user ?

https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig...1/interface/lib/classes/db_mysql.inc.php#L743

I would love to know what is happening on my system, i was thinking about an non intrusive counter in the header like the screenshots provided. when pushing the counter ( in this case there are 24 changes pending ) a modal appears (stock bootstrap) where the changes are listed.

Do you think this is a good idea ?

Attached Files:

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I have not implemented this part so I can only guess why he has hidden it, most likely there were too many visible changes for the admin. Your implementation looks nice, feel free to implement it like this if you want.

3. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

This is a really nice feature. But i think, you should increse setTimeout from 2 seconds to at least 30 seconds. If you have a server that can not process the datalog (i.e. maintaince or crashed), this will flood the webserver-log. It's also possible to hide "GET /datalogstatus.php" from the webserver-logs.
    I just submitted a megre-request to hide this calls from apache logs: https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/merge_requests/416/diffs

4. Pascal Dreissen

Hi Florian,

Good point, the time-out is however 5 seconds when no pending actions are found and it will decrease the timeout to 2 seconds when there are pending actions. The downfall with 30 seconds is that it will not pick up any datalogstatus actions when the server(s) have processed the queue, so it will make the function rather useless. So it will only decrease the timeout when there are actually pending processes.

I think that we should increase the time-out when there isn't any process for about 2 minutes or so, do you think that would work out ?

Good change however to not log the datalog !

5. florian030

I don't think, the problem is how often you datalogupdate. The main problem is the web-server-log. If you are logged in for some houres, your server-log will be very big. ;)
    I have currently no idea if there is a better way as hide the log-lines from the apache-logs (i'm pretty sure, that nginx has such an feature, too).

6. till

In Google chrome, the status pops up below the ISPConfig Logo and changes the height of the navbar, it does not show up beside the search bar as in your screenshot.

7. florian030

Same with Firefox and MS Edge.

8. Pascal Dreissen

Yep saw that already working on a fix. I also fixed the javascript a little bit so thing are a bit more robust when losing connection (clearing timer and reloading @ page (ajax) reload) This way we could potentially increase the polling time.

till likes this.
  9. florian030

Your latest commit does not change the position on Firefox.
    I think, there is another problem: as long as we do not exclude GET /datalogstatus.php from all logs, this results in very hugh logfiles. It makes no difference, if you are logged-in as admin or client. Do you really need to call datalogstsatus if you are logged in as a client?

10. florian030

I just saw, that the informations is shown for clients, too. I'm not sure, if a client should / must see this.

11. till

I think we should be careful with this function as there are quite large ISPConfig installations out there, I know a large multiserver system with more than 15 thousand accounts. On such a system, you can have hundred or more logged in users at the same time and frequent requests by so many users may lead to a dos on the interface server. So please keep in mind while choosing the interval that there might be hundred or more users at the same time.

12. Pascal Dreissen

Ok,

I am not aware of the user base but agree that this could lead to other issues. I think i found a way to only let the admin user poll the changes (configurable) where the clients don't need polling all the time except when there are pending actions. These would circumvent the extra load/ requests when there are many clients online.

What version of Firefox are you currently using and what OS? I am running OS X El Capitan with the latest Firefox and it is looking fine now ;)

till likes this.
  13. florian030

I just upgrade FF from 47 to 48 on windows 10. With 48 it's not usable anymore.

The 1st screenshot (clipboard02) is with FF 47 and the 2nd with FF 48

Attached Files:

14. Pascal Dreissen

My commit went wrong :( sorry ... will make a new one you are missing some modified css. Could you please try and insert on line 77 (ispconfig.css) in #headerbar this: min-width: 430px;

Copy the ispconfig.css to isconfig.min.css to check!

15. florian030

The navbar always overlap the datalog-icon and the icon is on the left side.

16. Pascal Dreissen

Hi @florian030, sorry for my late reply i was on holiday for the last couple of weeks ;) I just committed a fix for this. Could you please check if this solves the misplaced notification issue.

You could also remove line 733 of ispconfig.css to check this asap (position: absolute).

17. florian030

much better