deb lenny 64 isp3 mysql upgrade??

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks/Mods' started by Turbanator, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Turbanator

Turbanator Member HowtoForge Supporter

I seem to have issues related to mysql on my perfect server so...

Does anyone know if there is an updated mysql version for debian lenny x64?

And, if so, how would I update it and would it kill anything on an isp3 setup from the Perfect debian lenny isp3 howto?

current install: Server version: 5.0.51a-24+lenny4 (Debian)

TIA

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

3. Turbanator

Just wierd things.
    -DNS issues with people on the outside all of a sudden not able to get to webmail (i've verified it myself where I can get in remotely but they can't). Fail2Ban isn't blocking them from what I can tell in the logs.
    -a LOT of Temporary Lookup Failures when sending emails and the logs show mysql restarting due to some issue.
    -website error.log gives: [warn] (103)Software caused connection abort: mod_fcgid: ap_pass_brigade failed in handle_request function
    - slow mysql access from a website response but the /admin (of the same site) works nice and fast.

Everything seems to point to mysql under medium load. Over the weekend, the response is little better and issues don't exist much (including the mod_fcgid issue), but during the work week when emails starting flooding in and out, I think mysql gets overloaded (totally a guess...).

Hardware is a core2quad 2.66 with 8G Ram and I just up'd mysql to 300 max connections with plenty of mem so we shall see. tuning-primer.sh says everything is cool with mysql.

I was hoping to rectify the isues but gave up since I only see few other have the same issues (but they do). I'm going to migrate to Fedora 13 over the coming days. I'm hoping Till's migration post will work from debian->fedora (thoughts?).

btw, I found dotdeb.org has been releasing updated mysql and php for lenny. But I'm too chicken to attempt things without checking with you or Till.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I think it's a matter of tuinig MySQL parameters in your my.cnf.
    do you have munin installed? That might help you identify the problem (might also be a slow hard drive).

5. Turbanator

I think you're right with the mysql tuning. I made changes and incrwased max connections to 300. Things seems to be better. We get tons of spam so I wonder if the anti-spam and email processes are using most of my mysqlsql resources.

Will install munin now.
    thank you

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

7. Turbanator

Thanx Till. just made the change and will analyze with mysqltuner, tuning-primer and munin.