Debian 11, ISPConfig and MariaDB

Discussion in 'General' started by pyte, May 15, 2023.

1. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,
    sadly the new versions of moodle require a newer version of mariadb then installed by debian 11 stable. Moodle requires at least 10.6.7. To update i need to use the packaged version from the official mariadb debian repos.

Is ISPConfig compatible with mariadb version 10.6.7?

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I guess you already know that ISPConfig only supports the default version of MariaDB. However, it should be possible to run multiple version of it, just like php, except they may need to use another port(s). I read about it here and elsewhere but have no real experience with it. I guess if you research more, you may resolve this.

Try: https://linuxhint.com/running-multiple-mariadb-instances-on-ubuntu-20-04-lts/

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  3. pyte

Thank you for the reply, but i don't think running multiple versions at the same time is possible. However multiple instances is no problem, but that doesn't solve my problem.

I don't see a huge issue with running mariadb version 10.6 instead of 10.5 for ISPConfig, but i need to make sure because this is a production system.

4. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

If that doesn't, my mind can't think on how else this could be done in an ISPConfig server system, except out of the system, but I was merely suggesting this and that anyway.

Well, I heard someone confidently said that before but he retracted it somewhere later, when he reported facing some problems with it. Anyway, good luck.

5. pyte

Well i think that is the route i have to go for "moodle". I don't know why they require this version, when every other cms is completly fine.
    But i strongly consider moving it to a standalone server then.

6. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

not sure exactly how feasible it is, but perhaps you could have an install of mariadb 10.6.7 running on a docker instance on that server and just use a different port for it?

7. pyte

Thats a great idea, but not on the same host. I have a few docker swarms and one is for misc containers, that might be the best solution.
    Cheers thank you for the idea :)