Debian Etch Released

Discussion in 'Smalltalk' started by till, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Spudchat

Spudchat New Member

Thanks hans for your tips!

I followed what you did, except that I used apt-get dist-upgrade instead of aptitude and selected "critical" when it asked about what kind of questions I wanted it to ask me during installation.

It basically asked me about all the things I installed during the Perfect setup of Sarge, and asked me if I wanted to change the config files or keep the ones I had allready. I selected change in most cases, but keep in a few, then went back and changed the files to reflect the way they were (e.g. commenting out some mime types again, adding those lines to my proftpd.conf etc). Then I rebooted the server and everything works just as expected!

Spudchat

2. Hans

Hans Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Great!

I am happy to hear you did it!

3. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

Hello from Scotland.

Hans.. Are you using the same setup as me?
    Dell Poweredge SC 1425 and a 3Ware RAID card (I think it's a 8006-2LP what I have in my servers, but I need to look at the info that I have at home (Holland) to make sure.)

If so, the RAID card is one less worry for me when doing the Etch update.

4. Hans

Good luck from Holland!

Hi Edge,

Yes we have the same Dell server, but there is one difference.
    You have hardware RAID1 and i use Software RAID1, which has been configured by using the Debian Sarge CD in that time.

What i can say is this.
    When you start with the upgrade to Etch, some questions will be asked.
    I accepted all the defaults, but for MySQL i choose for old passwords.
    Have also a look to the Postfix/Saslautd configuration.
    And yes, first make a backup.

It is a good idea to have Falko's perfect setup for Etch on your screen as well. Probably, you need to install libmysqlclient15-dev for example or maybe some more.

To solve probable independencies, i advice to use the command:

If you have aptitude -f --with-recommends dist-upgrade

You also can use this after your dist-update with apt.

I wish you good luck an I hope that you are successful!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  5. edge

Strange...

I just did an ISPconfig update on all my servers.
    One of the servers that I updated showed Debian 4.0 when I did the ./setup to start installing ISPconfig.

The other servers showed Debian 3.1. (**edit. I typed 3.9)

All I did extra on that server before the ./setup was an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.. It did find and installed a lot of (needed?) updates.
    I did not touch the kernel! (the updates are also shown for the other servers)

Is Debian 4 the same as Etch, or is this only an update of Sarge? (I think the last)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  6. Hans

Hi Edge,

I guess, you have "stable" within your /etc/apt/sources.list in stead of "sarge".

Because Debian 4.0, alias Etch is stable now, ISPConfig recognises your Linux version as Etch, but actually it is still Sarge, because you did not upgrade to Etch yet. Probably, if you had "sarge" within your /etc/apt/sources.list, ISPConfig should recognise your Linux version as Debian 3.1, which is Sarge.

7. edge

Hmm..
    My sources.list (on ALL my servers look like this)
    Code:
    #deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main

deb http://ftp.debian.nl/debian/ stable main
    deb-src http://ftp.debian.nl/debian/ stable main
    deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

The only thing I did on the "4.0" version before the ISPconfig update was the apt-get update / upgrade.

Anyway.. I'll do the reall Etch move when I'm back home again next week.

8. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes.

You have "stable" in /etc/apt/sources.list. Because Etch is the new stable branch since April 8, you have updated you system to Etch by running
    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

9. edge

Wow... So I updated one of my servers to Etch without even knowing it :-/ (I think I still need to update the kernel)

That was even easier than doing a Windows update!

10. Hans

Upgraded to Etch indeed, because of the /etc/apt/sources.list, but after that it is whise to check if there is a newer kernel available. If so, install it and after a reboot, you need the an apt-get dist-upgrade to upgrade to the packages which come with Debian Etch. Now some packages are kept back. But beware, first make a backup.

Just a small attention:
    Have a look between small differences within the configuration.
    For example have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10106&highlight=Etch+Sarge+saslauthd

And probably, you need to install libmysqlclient15-dev
    But it must be said, everything is within Falko's great new howto, published here: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_etch

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  11. edge

Thank Hans,

I'm not having any of the problems as in the 1st link you posted, and as far as I can see, all is working fine (again. All I did was an apt-get update / upgrade from Debian 3.1)

Maybe I'm still on 3.1, but did ISPconfig "think" it was 4.0?
    How can I see if I'm running 4.0?

12. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

ok guys, I think my upgrade went smooth, still I'd like to fix some things.

a) can someone mail me at ovizii at zice dot ro or post here a complete sources.list, maybe someone knows also the local debian servers for getting packages from Strato? (they have ther own mirrors so traffic is not counted)

b) I am unsure which php version I ended with. because of this:
    and
    why do I have php5 packages installed? shall I replace all those php5 packages with php4 versions? I'd like to always stick to stable so I am unsure about those php5 stuff

###edit###
    I checked the etch howto from howtoforge, and have these questions:

why does it want to deinstall the apache2-prefork-dev package? I remember having needed it somewhere else it wouldn't be installed...

furthermore I just followed that etch tutorial from falko and I got to the point where one installs php5 - whats this? I am confused, I thought etch shipped with php 4.4.8???

13. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Etch comes with apache 2.2, so the new dev package might have another name. Most likely apache2.2-prefork-dev or similra, so you can install it again after you installed the above packages.

Etch ships with php4 and php5, if you upgrade from sarge and had php4 installed, it will upgrade to php 4.4.8. Id all your scripts are working fine with php 4.4.8, I recommend to not upgrade to php5 as some CMS systems still have ptoblems with php5 and it might happen that some of your sites wont work properly after the upgrade to php5.

14. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I did the apt-get isntall I quoted above. apache2-prefork-dev got removed. there is no other package for apache2.2 or likely. if I try to install it again it removes libdb4.3-dev again and installs libdb4.4-dev ... I remember that I needed this dev package for something contained called apxs or similar...

thx for the clarification about php4 and php5 included. I will stay with 4 as it is working flawless... I will just deinstall all php5 packages I find installed and install their php4 counterparts...

###edit###
    this does not work. if I try apt-get remove --purge php5-common it wants to delete a lot of packages like this: php*-*** lots of * in tehre so I guess I could end up without some needed php4 packages... when I am at home later on I'll post the exact output here.

one more question: how is this parallel install achieved? how woudl clients choose which one to use and which one would be default?

And I still would like to see a default sources.list (maybe with the strato server addon)

15. Hans

Etch indeed

@Edge,

You are running Etch already, because you have "stable" within your /etc/apt/sources.list list in stead of "sarge".
    But as you can see if you perform an update, there are kept back packages.
    You are only able to update the packages, which are provided by Etch, if you perform a dist-upgrade as describes here:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11957&page=2

You have to realise that Etch comes with a lot of new packages, which are stable now.
    So, by default, your server will be updated to php5, mysql5, and Apache2.2.3 for example.

16. Ben

Ben ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

@edge / @hans: So both of you upgraded a Sarge system with installed ISPConfig to etch wihtout negative influences to running services / ISPConfig?

17. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Hi Ben, I updated two of my sarge installations too without problems. Here is a small howto for upgrading the perfect setup sarge to etch, maybe it helps you a bit:

Check /etc/apt/sources.list

Then:

apt-get update

apt-get -u dist-upgrade

Answer the following questions, they might differ a bit according to your setup.

Debconf configuration:

-> Dialog
    -> medium

Do you want system wide readable home directories?

-> yes

Trust new CAs certificates?

-> yes

Major possible upgrade issues

-> Ok

Warning on syntax changes in ProFTPd configuration.

-> Ok

Configuring console-data

-> Don't touch keymap

New password for MySQL "root" user:

-> Do not enter any password

Support MySQL connections from hosts running Debian "sarge" or older?

-> Yes

Should man and mandb be installed 'setuid man'?

-> No

Disable challenge-response authentication?

-> No

Modified Authentication Infrastructure

Beginning with Courier 0.48, the authentication modules that used to be part of Courier have been separated into a standalone library. All Courier applications are now using the same authentication infrastructure, the Courier authentication library. Packages for this library consists of a base package (courier-authlib) and one for each authentication method (courier-authlib-userdb, -mysql, -postgresql, -ldap, -pipe). Unfortunately it wasn't possible to setup the dependencies in order to allow a seamless upgrade. Please install the package for your authentication method manually.

Do you want to upgrade glibc now? [Y/n]

-> Y

Do you wish to restart services? [Y/n]

-> Y

Configuration file `/etc/mysql/my.cnf'
    ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.

-> y

Configuration file `/etc/mime.types'

-> y

Configuration file `/etc/apache2/apache2.conf'

-> n

A new version of configuration file /etc/php4/cli/php.ini is available, but your version has been locally modified.

-> keep your currently-installed version

A new version of configuration file /etc/php4/apache2/php.ini is available, but your version has been locally modified.

Configuration file `/etc/default/saslauthd'

-> y

Configuration file `/etc/init.d/saslauthd'

-> y

Configuration file `/etc/init.d/sysklogd'

-> y

A new version of configuration file /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf is available, but your version has been locally modified.

Configuring webalizer

-> Ok

Enable DNSCache Option?

-> Yes

---------

Now we have to edit /etc/default/saslauthd in order to activate saslauthd. Set START to yes and change the line OPTIONS="-c" to OPTIONS="-c -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -r":

#
    # Settings for saslauthd daemon
    #

# Should saslauthd run automatically on startup? (default: no)
    START=yes

# Which authentication mechanisms should saslauthd use? (default: pam)
    #
    # Available options in this Debian package:
    # getpwent -- use the getpwent() library function
    # kerberos5 -- use Kerberos 5
    # pam -- use PAM
    # rimap -- use a remote IMAP server
    # shadow -- use the local shadow password file
    # sasldb -- use the local sasldb database file
    # ldap -- use LDAP (configuration is in /etc/saslauthd.conf)
    #
    # Only one option may be used at a time. See the saslauthd man page
    # for more information.
    #
    # Example: MECHANISMS="pam"
    MECHANISMS="pam"

# Additional options for this mechanism. (default: none)
    # See the saslauthd man page for information about mech-specific options.
    MECH_OPTIONS=""

# How many saslauthd processes should we run? (default: 5)
    # A value of 0 will fork a new process for each connection.
    THREADS=5

# Other options (default: -c)
    # See the saslauthd man page for information about these options.
    #
    # Example for postfix users: "-c -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd"
    # Note: See /usr/share/doc/sasl2-bin/README.Debian
    OPTIONS="-c -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -r"

Now restart saslauthd

/etc/init.d/saslauthd restart

Disable PHP Globally

(If you do not plan to install ISPConfig on this server, please skip this section!)

In ISPConfig you will configure PHP on a per-website basis, i.e. you can specify which website can run PHP scripts and which one cannot. This can only work if PHP is disabled globally because otherwise all websites would be able to run PHP scripts, no matter what you specify in ISPConfig.

To disable PHP globally, we edit /etc/mime.types and comment out the application/x-httpd-php lines:

vi /etc/mime.types

[...]
    #application/x-httpd-php phtml pht php
    #application/x-httpd-php-source phps
    #application/x-httpd-php3 php3
    #application/x-httpd-php3-preprocessed php3p
    #application/x-httpd-php4 php4
    [...]

Then restart Apache

/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

ISPConfig expects the configuration to be in /etc/proftpd.conf instead of /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf, therefore we create a symlink (you can skip this command if you don't want to install ISPConfig):

ln -s /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf /etc/proftpd.conf

We need to modify /etc/default/syslogd so that we can still get important messages logged to the system logs. Modify the line: SYSLOGD="" so that it reads: SYSLOGD="-a /var/lib/named/dev/log":

vi /etc/default/syslogd

#
    # Top configuration file for syslogd
    #

#
    # Full documentation of possible arguments are found in the manpage
    # syslogd(8).
    #

#
    # For remote UDP logging use SYSLOGD="-r"
    #
    SYSLOGD="-a /var/lib/named/dev/log"

Restart the logging daemon:

/etc/init.d/sysklogd restart

18. Hans

@Ben,

I have upgraded succesfully indeed.
    (1 testserver, 2 production-servers).

I also did also some small modifications, as described within Falko's perfect howto for Debian Etch.
    i do recognise the chosen options, mentioned by Till. :)

19. Ben

Ben ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Thx @Till @Hans for the info, I will upgrade then, soon ;)

20. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I entered my old password here and chose NO at the second question. still everythign ran smooth.

New password for MySQL "root" user:

-> Do not enter any password

Support MySQL connections from hosts running Debian "sarge" or older?

-> Yes