Debian Etch Released

Discussion in 'Smalltalk' started by till, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

just noticed a small glitch afetr the upgrade: I started getting foreach errors all over the place with different sites. her is an example:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/web23/web/wp-content/plugins/redirection/redirection.php on line 297

googling brought me to a lot of unrelated stuff, at least nothing explainign a quick fix or explaining why this happens.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

No, it's not used by ISPConfig. :)

3. falko

Maybe your PHP scripts work only with PHP4, but not PHP5?

4. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

Wow. The new Etch does work nice.
    Today I've updated my last server to it.. Thank God again with no problems (-:

I do notice that the number of processes used with the new Etch have gone down about 1/2 on both my Debian servers :)

Server 2 (the one I updated 1st some days ago)
    [​IMG]

Server 1 (updated yesterday)
    [​IMG]

Anyone else noticing this also?

5. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

regarding those foreach problems: it seems like there were some changes involved from php4 to php5 regarding this function.

another thing: could anyone care to explain how I could use both php4 and php5 on my server, as someone said they both ship with Etch?

is it complicated? can it mess things up?

6. falko

7. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

do those howtos now also work with Apache/2.2.3 (Debian)? they state they only work before 2.2 !?

8. falko

I haven't tried yet.

9. Ben

Ben ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

10. jsanglier

jsanglier New Member

Advice before I make a mess

First, thanks to all of you I have eventually upgraded my debian box to etch.

THis is a major achievement as I am a musician by trade and therefore thick as a plank! Also, what I don't know about linux could fill the British Library!

However, the next thing is the Kernel.

My system was built using the perfect setup serge, then upgraded to etch using Hans' stuff, and I have the latest ISPConfig version.

Running uname -r etc give me:

server1:~# uname -r
    2.4.27-2-386
    server1:~# apt-cache search kernel-image | grep 386
    kernel-image-2.6-386 - Linux 2.6 image on 486-class - transition package
    kernel-image-2.4.27-2-386 - Linux kernel image for version 2.4.27 on 386

Now, before I make a complete mess, destroy my emails and send myself into backruptcy, are there issues of leaping from 2.4.27-2-386 all the way to the 2.6 listed above?

Should I just leave it as it is or am I alright to proceed as with Hans' instructions and upgrade?

All the best

Joss

11. falko

An upgrade from kernel 2.4 to 2.6 is a rather big leap, and I wouldn't try it without a backup of your system (although it's perfectly possible that it work without glitches, but you never know).

12. jsanglier

jsanglier New Member

Thanks Falko - I think I will go and think about it a bit! OR even, quite a lot!