Dediabn LAMP ISPConfig Fresh Install , Not Resolving Domain Correctly

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by yupthatguy, Apr 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. yupthatguy

yupthatguy Member

Thx, you were absolutely right. When I ran the install for the optional packages directly as written in the tutorial, it defaulted to versions 8.0 because it was the last installed.

Therefore, I ran " apt cache search X.X " and installed the optional packages according to each version of PHP I installed.

Now, all is well.:)

2. yupthatguy

yupthatguy Member

I am hardening the shell and I installed lynis 3.0.3 it has reported an error in the bind configuration, I did some further investigation, but can't solve it.
    Code:
      ! Errors discovered in BIND configuration file [NAME-4206]
          https://cisofy.com/lynis/controls/NAME-4206/

When I run:
    Code:
    # named-checkconf -t /usr/lib/klibc/bin/chroot /etc/bind/named.conf " 
    Outputs:
    isc_dir_chroot: invalid file

(debian 10.5 file paths)

When I run:
    Code:
    # named-checkconf /etc/bind/named.conf "
    Outputs:
    /etc/bind/named.conf.options:23: dnssec-lookaside 'auto' is no longer supported
    Any tips for resolving this warning?

3. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

dnssec-lookaside is obsolote on newer BIND versions, so we should remove it from the config template.

4. yupthatguy

yupthatguy Member

Thx for the quick follow-up. I went ahead and hashed out the dnssec-lookaside in " nano named.conf.options " file.

However, I still have this problem:
    Code:
    # named-checkconf -t /usr/lib/klibc/bin/chroot "
    Outputs:
    isc_dir_chroot: invalid file

5. yupthatguy

yupthatguy Member

Sorry, I just re-checked lynis and the warning is gone... so mission accomplished... :) Thx again.

6. yupthatguy

yupthatguy Member

@Th0m Afraid, I need to dig up buried bones....

I need to setup DNSSEC, on my various domains... however according to this HTF thread
    https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/simple-complicated-dnssec-with-ispconfig.65713/

I will need "dnssec-lookaside auto;" to complete DNSSEC configuration. Which means, if I un-hash the value in " /etc/bind/named.conf.options ", the serious warning will return in Lynis 3.0.3.

Is there a more up-to-date set of instructions for setting up DNSSEC? Do you have any suggestions for getting rid of the warning & simultaneously setting up DNSSEC?

thanx

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The thread you refer to is from 2014, it is completely outdated. If you look at the ISPConfig interface, DNS wizard, then you see that there is a checkbox, enable it when you add a zone and you have dnssec configured for the zone.

8. yupthatguy

yupthatguy Member

Thanks for tip (reminder)... I just re-checked my DNS Zone and sure enough, I previously selected the DNSSEC checkbox for my domain...
    [​IMG]
    However, I still have a question, about exactly what parts of this info gets entered into my AlibabaDNS interface:
    [​IMG]
    Specifically, "Digest Type" and "Digest" shown above. Is there a guide somewhere that I haven't found?

thanx

9. Th0m

You have to add the KSK (257), which uses algorithm 13.

10. yupthatguy

yupthatguy Member

Actually, I just figured it out... (I think :confused:) I plugged this into my AlibabaDNS interface and it seems to work:
    [​IMG]
    AlibabaDNS seems happy:
    [​IMG]

11. yupthatguy

yupthatguy Member

FYI, Lynis is still happy and "dnssec-lookaside auto;" is still hashed out in " /etc/bind/named.conf.options "... so I guess its on to the next challenge... unless I got something wrong? o_O

12. Th0m

13. yupthatguy

yupthatguy Member

Excellent tool!! Thanks for that... it just joined my bookmark list... and yes, all lights are "green"... no problems found.! :)

14. yupthatguy

yupthatguy Member

15. yupthatguy

yupthatguy Member

Answering my own question: Yes, this is the latest version and it works greatly! :)

I just have 2 related questions... when I create / edit the files below according to the HowTo, should I leave "<host>" & "<ip>" as shown in the HowTo or should I replace "<host>" & "<ip>" with my own info, such as <host> = server1.example.com & <ip> xx.xx.xxx.xx-publicIP?

/etc/fail2ban/filter.d/apache-mod_evasive.local
    [​IMG]

/etc/fail2ban/action.d/apache-mod_evasive-cleanup.local
    [​IMG]

thx

Also I still have a prior question:

16. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Leave the literal '<HOST>' and '<ip>' strings.
    I think it's been discussed a time or two since then, but that's probably still the latest (and somewhat dated).

If you break new topics into new threads that are short and succinct, they're more likely to be seen and answered than a single thread (eg. this one has nearly 100 posts now, ranging all over the place in topics; many folks will just skip or skim over it).

Th0m likes this.
  17. yupthatguy

yupthatguy Member

Thanks for the feedback on all fronts... I will definitely start using separate threads.... and, of course, keep it short.. :)