Dedicated IP

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sjau, Jun 3, 2006.

1. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

Is there somehow a way to get a normal "home" user a dedicated IP so that I can run a webserver from home? I never have thought of that before.

Some cable provider do provide ded. IPs for a charge but what about those that don't? Is there a way still to get a ded. IP?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I think you must find an ISP who gives you a static IP address.

3. sjau

What if the ISP does not give away static IPs? Is there a way to get them elsewhere?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, you can only get IP addresses from your ISP.

5. neil6179

neil6179 New Member

If it's just a home web server your after you could use dynamic DNS from somewhere like http://www.no-ip.com. They have a Linux client and are free if you use one of their domain names. I guess you could map your domain with CNAME to whatever they give you.

In the UK I use Zen (http://www.zen.co.uk) who give you the option of up to 8 static IP addresses at no extra charge on a standard home ADSL line. Not much help to you in Switzerland but it might be to someone out there. :)

Neil

6. sjau

well, it's rather for a test setup :)

Wanted to direct a domain to it - which I currently don't use...

7. neil6179

neil6179 New Member

Well that's possible, just add a CNAME entry for you current unused domain to whatever no-ip give you and then your domain would resolve to your dynamically assigned IP.

Neil

8. davekeogh

davekeogh New Member

Well the provider could give one one of a few things
    a) give you an ip-address, with apache listening on that, but i doubt it unless its a very small isp.
    b) set up a apache virtual host for your user so you can configure a certain domain name owned by you to be redirected to a page of yours.
    c) just give you the normal www.ispname.com/~username/ which you can then set you a domain name to 'sub-in' a domain name of your choice to that one...