default index.html

Discussion in 'General' started by xeripism, Jan 28, 2017.

1. xeripism

xeripism New Member

Hi ladies n gentlemen.
    I'm fairly new so don't judge too harshly ha

I have trawled this forum for a few hours and haven't managed to find the answer so far.

I have successfully set up an ispconfig3 configuration and it works well using centos build.
    What I'd like to wrap my mind around is this; I can set up my domains perfectly and they work, however,
    When I'm going to my actual IP address rather than a domain it loads a welcome to your website page, which..I want to change to a custom index.html

I've tried using winscp to get in using the root access and even in /var/www there's no index.html file there.
    Where is the default index.html welcome to your website file actually located

any assistance rendered would be massively appreciated.

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Run 'apachectl -S' and it should be in 'Main DocumentRoot'.

3. xeriphism

xeriphism New Member

Heya Jesse thanks for the heads up.. this .. got me on the right path....
    well sort of...
    what I did instead was
    went into the tmp directory then ran

apachectl -S > tmp.tmp

when I looked at tmp.tmp via vi
    I could see where things are all redirecting to etc.
    thinking about it DocumentRoot wasn't listing for any sort of default, but I thought hmm.. which one of these is it going to default to..
    turns out between editing the first site in the list this was the site it was defaulting to... I was still scratching my head at this point and thinking hrm... damnit... then I remembered reading something about this when I was searching previously and... eventually I found..
    https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/ispconfig-default-website.58419/ along with this which..

I didn't initially understand when I read it as it wasn't written in simple enough noob english, sorry lads!!

Eventually I worked out that what is happening and I really REALLY hope this helps any other new users to understand what is going on.

SO once you have your freshinstall done of the ispconfig3 server
    if you visit the actual ip address of the webserver rather than one of the domains being served from it
    ispconfig3 is defaulting to the vhost that is highest in the list in terms of alphabetical order.

The solution is to create a new site which doesn't technically or actually exist in the default 'client'
    using ispconfig 3 go to the sites option
    create a new one
    make the domain name something like 00000-a.tld

Then go into /var/html/clients/client0/00000-a.tld/web

adjust the index.html to be whatever you want it to actually be when someone goes to the IP address of your webserver
    I have no doubt you could probably make some kind of sym link or a redirect page to make it point to one of your hosted domains but,
    personally I wanted a sort of 'hey you found the easter egg you cheeky rascal' type page :)

May ye be glorious and yer sites be epic.

4. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

no need to create any dummy '1st site' in ispconfig.
    the default path / docroot is /var/www/html/ so you just need any index.php, index.html etc file in there, containing whatever you want to display.

then in /etc/apache2/sites-available, rename default.conf to eg 000-default.conf, and default-ssl.conf to 000-default-ssl.conf and enable them (a2ensite 000-default 000-default-ssl)
    for the non-ssl default site, this may be done automatically on recent releases. so you just need to make your own index page/file.

xeriphism likes this.
  5. xeriphism

xeriphism New Member

Thankyou muchly excellent!