Details about secondary MX with Rspamd?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by TonyG, Jul 26, 2022.

1. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

I'm trying to understand details of the workflow between primary and secondary MX. When switching a primary MX from Amavis to Rspamd, we install Rspamd, disable Amavis, and tell ISPConfig that we did the switch. ISPConfig does the configuration changes, we get access to the GUI, etc.

What happens with a secondary MX? Same process?
    What kind of Rspamd configuration detail does ISPConfig send to the secondary, if any?
    When the primary learns Bayes and we set filters, does ISPConfig send anythng to the secondary?
    Is there any transfer of Redis records?

As to workflow:

Let's say the primary is down. A remote MTA connects to the secondary. Rspamd on the secondary determines whether the mail should be discarded or accepted, greylisted or delivered. Is this done completely independent of data from the primary?

The primary comes back up and mail in the queue needs to be transferred. Does the primary re-greylist and re-evaluate mail items according to its own local configs and Redis records? It can't reject/discard mail that's already been accepted.

Summary:

I'm trying to understand what ISPConfig does and does not do in this multi-MX topology, and what our responsibilities are as admins to setup syncs of config files and database records - or what Not to do. I've been through the tutorials about how to setup the environment, but (appropriately) there's nothing in that info about how it works.

RTFM would be welcome ... if there is any FM to R. :)

Thanks.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Mirrored servers should use the exact same configuration on all nodes, no matter if its a web or mail server, so you should configure the second MX to use Rspamd as well after changing the first node. ISPConfig configures Amavis and Rspamd in the exact same way on both servers, so you don't have to copy any config files. The server do not share the same Bayes database though.

3. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

Got it. Thanks. :)
    So in the server config UI, the secondary content filter will be set to Rspamd, and I'll check other details. If a sync isn't initiated I'll do it through Tools. Then I'll ensure I can get the Rspamd GUI up for the secondary.
    Aside from the local.d/users folder, are any other config files sync'd with ISPConfig?

For Bayes is the common solution to setup Redis replication?
    Similarly, I might setup Dovecot replication.
    Is there anything there that ISPConfig might help with? Or is ISPConfig completely unaware of these features at this time?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig syncs the config files that it writes by writing them individually on each node based on the content of the ISPConfig MySQL database, I don't have a full list at hand. If you add other config files manually, then they don't get synced.

ISPConfig just writes config files for Rspamd, it is not aware of what Rspamd does in the background for config caching or Bayes or how it commúnicates with e.g. Redis. If you like to have Redis replication, then you'll have to set this up manually at the moment.