Developer Chat ?

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by Spum, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Spum

Spum ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I know we're always messaging eachother back and forth through PM's.. wouldn't it be much easier if we had a nice chat thing going? Like Instant messaging!

Hmm, but i dont know of any formats other than MSN :-/

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Hm, I can speak only for myself, but I hate chats... From my experience they're an enormous waste of time...
    When I receive emails/PMs or see forum posts, I'm not forced to react at once, but whenever I have the time, and I can really make up my mind about my answer. I hope you see my point. :)

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Mabe we can use the Developer mailinglist at sourceforge.net? Its not instant messaging but maybe i the middle between the forum and IM :)

4. Spum

Hey, maybe we should use some form of chat anyway like Jabber gabber or whatever.. I dont mean like IRc but something, i dont want you to reply immediately but it'd be quicker and save forum posts

5. till

Okay, we can try this. Any recommendations for the client / protocol. I prefer one that works without a microsoft passport account :)

6. Spum

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  7. till

8. Spum

Added you ! :)

9. benbalbo

benbalbo ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I'm still getting my head around all the code and not yet started developing yet, but you can still jabber me at [email protected]

10. mistik1

mistik1 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Come on guys, I know that chat can be a waste of time but lets face it email/IM is a horrible way to calaborate when doing any type of real development.
    I may be coding something and just need a little feedback or input from a team member with email one would send and wait who knows how long for a response while a quick response could save a HUGE amount of time in recoding something you did one way because you misunderstood something at the API level that could be solved in 5 seconds with a realtime chat.

Let give IRC a try, all interested meet me in #ispconfig on irc.freenode.net.

11. webstergd

webstergd ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

are we still using IRC?

I switched over to windows on my main box inorder to play WoW and Civ 4 :-( . Know of a good FREE IRC client that runs under windows? mIRC and x-chat charge now.

If we want to get REAL nerdie we could use ventillo. (talk program) Personally dislike it but it could help some developers.