Developers IRC Channel?

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by oilyflutesalad, Jan 18, 2010.

?

Do you think us developers would benefit from IRC?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. oilyflutesalad

oilyflutesalad New Member

I've been thinking it could be useful for the developers to contact each other every now and again if they wish to discuss anything, rather than going through the slow channels of either forum or email. For those that haven't used it before, it's easy to use and there are plenty of clients available for all operating systems (open-source, free, and commercial options) and if you don't like installing extra stuff there are even web-based clients.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I'am not a fan of IRC or chats in general as I simply dont have the time for it. So even if we would have a chat, at least I will not be able to answer any questions there. The forum offers a asynchronous aproach of communication which is much better suited in my opinion as everyone is able to answer a question when he has time to do it. Also dont forget that the ISPConfig developers are living in differnt time zones.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  3. oilyflutesalad

I just found this outdated thread in the forum suggestions section that got bumped yesterday. It seems that although there aren't many people that would use an IRC channel, there are still some that would be interested.

As there is a small subsection of people that are interested in an IRC channel for ISPConfig, I'm thinking of setting up an unofficial channel on a public IRC server. Till and Falko, would you have any objections to this? I personally think as long as people know it is not an official channel for support/smalltalk it should be fine.

4. till

If you like to run a unofficial IRC channel for ISPConfig, feel free to do it. I will add the info then to the ISPConfig homepage so that poeple can find it.

5. oilyflutesalad

Thanks Till

Server is irc.quakenet.org
    Channel is ISPConfig

Any developers that would like to help out, AUTH yourself with Q and let me know so I can set your permissions

jonathannet likes this.
  6. till

7. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

Ten years later...
    There is no one in irc.quakenet.org ##ispconfig or #ispconfig. That can be changed to irc.freenode.net.
    There are about 10 accounts logged-in to #ispconfig there, but these are probably all bots.
    On the community page (https://www.ispconfig.org/community/) the reference to G+ can be removed too. :)

I agree that async media has high value, and for that I run a few groups on Google and LinkedIn. Synchronous comms can be beneficial for some communities as well. Such things evolve and change over time.
    I am in many communities and run some forums and channels. My attitude is that regardless of personal preferences, projects need to be where people congregate, rather than asking people to congregate in one place. So IMO, the Facebook account is valuable, as is Twitter, IRC, Slack, and Discord.

This is all just like the blog/wiki discussion...

YMMV

8. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I'd suggest telegram and for keeping members subscribe to its channel updated but that's it.

9. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Something like discord or slack could be handy sometimes but I don't think there is high demand for something like that.

10. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

I'm still getting familiar with the culture here. If there isn't a critical mass of interest then that's just the way it is. Thanks.

Corrections to the community page are still recommended.

11. calbasi

calbasi Member

I'm logged to IRC ##ispconfig and I'm not a bot ;-) There are questions and some answers from time to time ;-) I use Element (old Riot.im) to login. It's a free alternative to Slack and it could be used even in a mobile, using website or its app, like Telegram ;-)

12. gOOvER

gOOvER Member

Why use IRC when there is Discord?

Discord is not a pure gamer platform for a long time. Large companies also use Discord for communication. The possibilities are infinite