Different web & user directories

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by tgansert, May 12, 2006.

1. tgansert

tgansert New Member

I would like to keep users in /home and web stuff in /var/www, how can I go about this?

As of right now, I simply ln -s /home /var/www/web1/users, but this will not do in the long run.

Thanks for your help =]

- Tim G

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Should these users be able to upload stuff to the web folder with FTP?

3. tgansert

tgansert New Member

They should. But they will not use ISPConfig interface for it.. THey will use a third party FTP app (if it makes a difference).

4. falko

You must change the DefaultRoot directive in /etc/proftpd.conf.
    You might also have to change permissions/ownerships in /var/www.

5. tgansert

tgansert New Member

Hmm. We're getting closer, but not on the same page just yet ;)

When a new mail user is created in ISPConfig interface, by default, it wants to create the new user in the same directory as the www. The www, by default is /home/www, but I changed that during the install to /var/www. This had the compounding effect of placing user directories there as well.

I wish to keep the www directory as /var/www, but new users' directories should be created in /home.

Right now, it is creating them in /var/www/web1/users (which is symlinked to /home as a temporary measure).

6. falko

Ahh, you're talking about ISPConfig. You should have mentioned that right in the beginning.
    There's no way to change this behaviour unless you change the ISPConfig sources, but this will cause a lot of permission and dependency problems.