Disk Imaging

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by crudolphy, Feb 4, 2006.

1. crudolphy

crudolphy New Member

How about a disk imaging or "ghosting" how to, that would utilize server based storage of the images with compression for faster transfer over a network.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please have a look here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/dedicated_server_backup_restore_systemimager
    http://www.howtoforge.com/howto_linux_systemimager

These are no traditional system image (files) like the ones you got for example with norton ghost, but they have some pro's:

1) Fast compressed transfer over the internet.
    2) Easy, even automated backups
    3) Easy restore even on dedicated servers where you only have a mini linux rescue system.
    4) You can restore the backup on a different disk with a different disk geometry or even a server with different hardware without problems, as long as your linux kernel supports the hardware of the new server. I've copied a fully installed linux server with this method from a via mini-ITX borad with via processor to a 1HE system with Intel P4 system flawlessly.

3. crudolphy

crudolphy New Member

I knew you would know how

Right on the money. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I have to say, that yourself and Falko have what I find to be one of the most useful websites around. Good Job and thanks for your good work.

Chuck Rudolphy

4. william

william New Member

System Imager

Current using system imager in goldenclient / server mode at home where i have a debian server in place (thanks to your guides ;)). Is it possible to make a install DVD with the system on it. This is so i can go to a remote site and install a operating system onto a new hard drive.

Many Thanks

William

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I don't think so. I think you always need the server.