dkim patch on 3.0.5.4p8

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by ressel, Nov 20, 2015.

1. inside83

inside83 Member

I should put the content of the 'DNS record' field form the mail server to a new DNS TXT record in the DNS server?
    You see, 'DNS record' field on the mail server has 452 characters and DNS TXT field on DNS server can only contain 255 characters - so I can't just copy/paste.
    2016-01-15 05_15_26-ISPConfig 3.0.5.4p8.png 2016-01-15 05_14_05-ISPConfig 3.0.5.4p8.png
    Also, if I reconfigure my servers to multiserver setup, will I loose any data?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  2. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

The shown record is the full entry for your dns.
    Create a TXT-Record. Hostname: default._domainkey.domain.com. and Text: v=DKIM1; g=*; k=rsa; p=....
    You can also othe another key-strength

3. inside83

inside83 Member

Could you, please, be more specific?
    I should create new TXT record and in the 'hostmane' filed i should put 'default._domainkey.MYDOMAIN.COM.' and in 'text' field i should put everything after the 'TXT' from the 'DNS-Record' field in the 'DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM)' section?

4. florian030

Yes. Or change your setup to a multiserver-setup with one interface. ;)

5. inside83

inside83 Member

Again, when adding 'DNS TXT Record', the field 'Text' can't contain more than 255 characters.
    And everything after 'TXT' in from the 'DNS-Record' field in the 'DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM)' section has 408 characters.
    I've already asked you 'Also, if I reconfigure my servers to multiserver setup, will I loose any data?', but there was no answer.

6. florian030

In this case install the dkim-patch on your dns-server, too. This extends the allowd length for txt-records.
    You can convert your setup into a multiserver-setup. You have to merge the data into on server and switch the other servers to slaves.

7. inside83

inside83 Member

8. ressel

ressel Member

In my setup i have 5 DNS servers, but I only set DNS records on first DNS server, remaining 4 is all set to mirror of first DNS server.

9. inside83

inside83 Member

@ressel
    All of your 5 servers are DNS only servers?

10. ressel

ressel Member

I will show you how my setup is in a image tomorrow.

11. inside83

inside83 Member

12. inside83

inside83 Member

Also, one other thing:
    If I install the patch on my mail server, and domain is managed by GoDaddy, how to add DKIM record to GoDaddy?

13. ressel

ressel Member

Here you can se how I build my server setup:
    top.png
    On my DNS "slave" servers I have used following setup in ISPConfig.
    dns2.png
    When I create a domain in DNS I only select DNS1 as my dns server, it will then automatic be replicated to all server that is setup as mirror (all of 5 of them).
    And to make it work, I have setup my DNS template to always use all 5 dns servers, so it will look like:
    dns_zone.png

14. inside83

inside83 Member

This s great, thank you.
    One question: why would you need 5 DNS servers?
    Are they going down?

15. ressel

ressel Member

I have 2 in datacenter in Germany, 3 in Denmark,
    1 at my parents (No backup Internet, with UPS),
    1 home (No backup Internet, with UPS),
    1 at a friend (No backup internet, no UPS)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  16. inside83

inside83 Member

@ressel
    How much RAM do you have on those that are DNS only?
    I'm thinking of setting up some DNS-only servers and I was thinking how much is enough.
    @florian030
    Still no answer?

17. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

256MB should be enough for a dns only node as it runs only bind plus mysql plus the ispconfig server cronjob (you can disable innodb support so that it uses less ram).

18. inside83

inside83 Member

@till
    So, I should follow Perfect Server tutorial (eg for Debian 8), and after disable innodb support and use only 'DNS' tab in ISPconfig?

19. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

20. ressel

ressel Member