DNS A record for zone apex ( bare / naked / canonical )

Discussion in 'General' started by TonyG, Nov 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

For zone "foo.tld", what's the appropriate DNS A record in the zone?

• foo.tld.
    • @
    • (empty, no name)
    My ISP defaults to having an empty A record. In ISPConfig this is created with an entry in the template like this:

A||111.222.333.444|0|3600​

ISPConfig defaults to create the first variant with the trailing period.
    In ISPConfig zone maintenance, an attempt to use @ gets reset to to the zone name with the period.

I have blindly added the empty name variant to all of my zones but now I'm thinking this creates a conflict. As long as ISPConfig insists on the name+period standard, I'm fine with deleting the empty version, and I don't care about the "@" override.

So what is preferred? Correct? And what's the thinking in ISPConfig?

Thanks!

2. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

well, you can forget about using @ for the hostname in ispconfig, the interface doesn't accept that as a valid hostname.

so you can choose to either leave hostname blank (it will replace the blank name with @ in the zone file) or use domain.tld. which will still remain as domain.tld. in the actual zone file.

so it really comes down to personal preference, do you prefer the root A record of your zone to appear as either empty, or the actual domain name when you view all your dns records in the ispconfig interface?

3. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

@ is accepted, but replaced with example.com. (with a trailing dot). @ and example.com. is the same but we want to use example.com. for clearness.

4. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

oh, did that change in 3.2 then? only tried using @ in 3.1.* interface, which didn't accept it.
    not tried it in 3.2 yet, waiting for 3.2.1 before i update prod servers.

5. Th0m

6. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

Uh, I said right up front "In ISPConfig zone maintenance, an attempt to use @ gets reset to to the zone name with the period."

And the questions are "So what is preferred? Correct? And what's the thinking in ISPConfig?"
    The response "whatever you prefer" doesn't tell me what YOU prefer or why. LOL

7. Th0m

Imo it's the same thing and it's (as I said) for clearness that ISPConfig replaces it instead of leaving it as a @