DNS changes stopped working

Discussion in 'General' started by bookatechie, May 1, 2008.

  1. bookatechie

    bookatechie New Member

    I recently noticed that ISPconfig no longer updates my DNS entries. The last modified date is Nov 5. The web interface shows it saves the changes but when I look in /var/named/chroot/var/named the pri. files are missing and the /var/named/chrot/etc/named/named.conf has not been changed.

    I have upgraded to 2.2.23 and I got a CentOS 5.0 server.

    Please help! I have loved ISPconfig so far but without the DNS updates it will be very annoying to use.

    Thank you!
  2. till

    till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

    The problem is most likely related to a bind update that you installed from centos which messed up the directory permissions of the bind installation.

    Exceute the follwing commands ro correct the permissions again:

    chmod 755 /var/named/
    chmod 775 /var/named/chroot/
    chmod 775 /var/named/chroot/var/
    chmod 775 /var/named/chroot/var/named/
    chmod 775 /var/named/chroot/var/run/
    chmod 777 /var/named/chroot/var/run/named/

    and afterwards login to ISPConfig and set the bind config directory to the correct path again under management > server > settings.
  3. bookatechie

    bookatechie New Member

    till, thanks for the help ...
    I ran the chmod and since ispconfig is set to /etc/bind I sym linked it to /var/named/chroot/var/named
    but it didn't help ... the strange things is that I created a domain before, deleted it thinking I will try adding it again, but now it is stuck in the dust bin, I can restore it but the pri. files aren't beeing written and the named.conf isn't changing.

    It be really nice if there is some sort of a log file I can look at to figure out where it is failing.
  4. falko

    falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

    Are there any warnings in /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/ispconfig.log?
    What's the output of
    ls -la /root/ispconfig
  5. bookatechie

    bookatechie New Member

    No, I didn't see anything useful in ispconfig.log how ever
    I got it fixed somehow!
    I did the following, not sure what exactly fixed it but it works now.
    yum remove bind-chroot
    deleted the /var/named folder ... after backup of corse
    reinstalled bind with yum
    ran the chmods and the reest of teh steps needed for the chrooted bind setup
    went into the database and set all the dns entries to status n
    restarted ispoconfig ... oh and bind was shut down after I reinstalled it
    went into ispconfig and made some changes in the dns and it recreated all my files.

    Not sure what exactly fixed it but things are ok again!

    Thanks a lot Falko, you pointed me in the right direction.

Share This Page