DNS Configuration sugestion & help

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by awd.pt, Apr 9, 2006.

1. awd.pt

awd.pt Member

Hi all,

I'm running ISPConfig on a server and I what to have it running as my Primary DNS, bur private, server since I have other two server that will be the public name servers for all the domains.

How can this be made? I whant to notify and update those two slaves each time there is a change configuration made on the master.

Should I hack the named.conf.master or there is other way to do it? If I hack the file I'll have to remeber to hack it again each time a new release or update exists to ISPConfig.

Thank you in advance for the help,
    srosa

2. awd.pt

awd.pt Member

Well I decided to use nfs to export the etc directory of ISPConfig bind to my name servers, and each time an update occurs through ISPConfig the /etc/init.d/named script touches a file in etc.
    Each nameserver is monitoring the etc dir and if the file exists, the bind is restarted and the new iformation is loaded on the public name servers.

Obviosly this will trash my name servers if I get a lot of updates, but until then I'll keep on exploring new ways to do it.

Any inputs an comments are welcome

Thanks
    srosa

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig supports the replication to one slave server with the BIND zone transfer feature.

Replication to tow servers is not supported yet, so your solution might be a good way.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Hm, it should work with as many servers as you like. :)