DNS configuration worries

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by rzlines, Dec 4, 2010.

1. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Code:
    server1:~# dig @ns1.techstudio.co.cc speakgeek.co.cc

; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R1 <<>> @ns1.techstudio.co.cc speakgeek.co.cc
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
    server1:~#
    Still no go. Is the IP correct?

Code:
    server1:~# dig ns1.techstudio.co.cc

; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R1 <<>> ns1.techstudio.co.cc
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 15227
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;ns1.techstudio.co.cc.          IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    ns1.techstudio.co.cc.   3576    IN      A       [B][COLOR="Red"]122.176.73.42[/COLOR][/B]

;; Query time: 43 msec
    ;; SERVER: 145.253.2.75#53(145.253.2.75)
    ;; WHEN: Thu Dec 16 17:45:28 2010
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 54

server1:~#
    Please check if your ISP blocks port 53.

2. rzlines

rzlines New Member

That's the correct IP address and I just called up the ISP and they say that they aren't restricting any ports whatsoever

3. falko

http://www.intodns.com/speakgeek.co.cc tells me "Can't get nameservers at parent server!<br>I only check domains not subdomains!"
    Maybe the problem is that speakgeek.co.cc is a subdomain, which means you cannot create a zone for it.

4. rzlines

rzlines New Member

Well I was using co.cc domain for testing purposes, does that mean that all co.cc domains behave like sub-domains? My main domain of the server is a co.cc domain too, should I get a commercial domain for this project?

For the speakgeek.co.cc domain I have just added NS records in the domain control panel, and in ISP Config I used the DNS wizard. Is that I valid config?

I have an off question, when I setup a single server, does it have to be assigned as hostname.domain name or has it to be just domain name? My current setup is hostname.domain name

I mean I don't really have many computers on that domain, its just that one server. And if I have a multi-server setup will the main server just have the domain name and the other servers join that domain to have hostnames?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  5. falko

That seems to be the case.

Yes.

Yes - for regular domains. ;)

I recommend to use hostname.domain. If you just use domain and use a virtual Postfix setup, you might have problems receiving emails for domain.

Yes, the other servers can join the domain (server2.domain, server3.domain, etc.).

6. rzlines

rzlines New Member

In process of doing a new install with a commercial domain will get back if I have any issues. Really appreciate all your help here.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  7. rzlines

rzlines New Member

Okay I have use awft.org in GoDaddy (where I purchased the domain from) and added the ns details to the hosts.

I have 2 questions:

1)The domain has default ns records which point to the godaddy nameservers. Should I replace them with these new records or let them point to go daddy's nameservers ?

Output of dig ns1.awft.org

Code:
    ; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_5.3 <<>> ns1.awft.org
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 32435

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;ns1.awft.org.                  IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    ns1.awft.org.           139     IN      A       122.176.73.42

;; Query time: 48 msec
    ;; SERVER: 202.56.215.41#53(202.56.215.41)
    ;; WHEN: Tue Dec 21 20:26:16 2010
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 46

Output of dig ns2.awft.org

Code:
    ; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_5.3 <<>> ns2.awft.org
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 51283

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;ns2.awft.org.                  IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    ns2.awft.org.           1800    IN      A       122.176.73.42

;; Query time: 404 msec
    ;; SERVER: 202.56.215.41#53(202.56.215.41)
    ;; WHEN: Tue Dec 21 20:27:17 2010
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 46

2) Do I really have to wait for 72 hours for my dns server to propogate? or can I start adding clients now

and just in case ;)

Outputs of netstat -tap

Code:
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address               Foreign Address             State       PID/Program name
    tcp        0      0 *:imaps                     *:*                         LISTEN      2592/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:pop3s                     *:*                         LISTEN      2592/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:mysql                     *:*                         LISTEN      2550/mysqld
    tcp        0      0 *:hello-port                *:*                         LISTEN      2166/rpc.statd
    tcp        0      0 *:pop3                      *:*                         LISTEN      2592/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 localhost.local:dyna-access *:*                         LISTEN      2465/clamd
    tcp        0      0 *:imap                      *:*                         LISTEN      2592/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:sunrpc                    *:*                         LISTEN      2127/portmap
    tcp        0      0 *:ftp                       *:*                         LISTEN      2738/pure-ftpd (SER
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdomai:domain *:*                         LISTEN      2066/named
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdomain:ipp   *:*                         LISTEN      2449/cupsd
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdomain:smtp  *:*                         LISTEN      2693/master
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdomain:rndc  *:*                         LISTEN      2066/named
    tcp        0      0 *:imaps                     *:*                         LISTEN      2592/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:pop3s                     *:*                         LISTEN      2592/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:pop3                      *:*                         LISTEN      2592/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:imap                      *:*                         LISTEN      2592/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:webcache                  *:*                         LISTEN      8944/httpd
    tcp        0      0 *:http                      *:*                         LISTEN      8944/httpd
    tcp        0      0 *:tproxy                    *:*                         LISTEN      8944/httpd
    tcp        0      0 *:ftp                       *:*                         LISTEN      2738/pure-ftpd (SER
    tcp        0      0 localhost6.localdoma:domain *:*                         LISTEN      2066/named
    tcp        0      0 *:ssh                       *:*                         LISTEN      2436/sshd
    tcp        0      0 localhost6.localdomain:rndc *:*                         LISTEN      2066/named
    tcp        0      0 *:https                     *:*                         LISTEN      8944/httpd
    tcp        0   1924 tin.awft.org:ssh       ::ffff:192.168.1.45:54517   ESTABLISHED 9185/0

Output of iptables -L

Code:
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target     prot opt source               destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  8. falko

You can use GoDaddy's nameservers - that way you don't have to run your own nameservers. :)

9. rzlines

rzlines New Member

Oh boy! but the whole point is that I want to do it by myself, can you please help!!

10. falko

But why did you ask this question then? :confused:

11. rzlines

rzlines New Member

Oh! that question was because I was not sure what entries I had to keep on the GoDaddy domain, so what I meant was if I have added ns1 and ns2 to the host's summary then do I need to keep godaddy's nameserver records. I am just not sure what records to keep.

I have pm'ed you with all the details of my server yesterday.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010