Dns Help

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by gpetrom, Sep 24, 2015.

1. gpetrom

gpetrom Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi

I want to install ispconfig in virtualserver and i will be hosting 5 sites. I am not a dns server expert and i want to tell me someone if i am thinking ok for the following setup.

So my setup will be for example a virtual server with debian 8 and latest ispconfig. The ip that i will have is for example 192.168.1.156 and the domains will be for example site1local, site2.local etc. My server fqdn will be websrv.site1.local.
    So I will have to configure in my domain register provider that the dns for site1.local will be 192.168.1.156. Then i will make a zone for site1.local in ispconfig with two ns records for example ns1.site1.local with ip address 192.168.1.156 and ns2.site1.local with the same ip address. For the rest of the sites in my domain register, dns should work with ns1.site1local.
    Is this correct?
    Something else will i be able to ping on websrv.site1.local. I am asking because i have tested localy and i am not able to ping to websrv.site1.local. I can ping for example to ns1.site1local but not to the host. What else should i do?

Thanks in advanced and sorry for my poor english

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thats correct but you are missing 2 a-records, one for ns1 and one for ns2. When the ns records of a zone are subdomains of the zone they are subdomains of, then you need these 2 a-records as well. and dont forget to add an a-record for websrv.

3. gpetrom

Hi Till
    Thanks for the quick answer.
    I have red that if i will setup mail in the same server i should make a reverse dns record because a lot of mail servers rejects when you don t have.
    Should i make a reverse dns record in my provider?
    What should i use there, the fqdn of my server for example websrv.site1.local?
    Should it be a domain name that i am using to send emails or should i use a different domain?

Regards

4. till

yes.

Yes, use the hostname of the server.

It should be the full server hostname, it does not matter if thats a subdomain of the domain that you send mail for or a different domain.

5. gpetrom

One more question
    My provider gave me a vps and it is behind a router. I have a private ip configured in my vps and with nat i have a public ip. How should i configure the fqdn in my hosts file with the private ip or with public?
    I think that it does not matter because i have configured reverse dns and in my dns server will have a a record with the public ip, Am i correct?
    Regards

6. till

If you mean the hosts file on your server, then thats the private IP. If you talk about a hosts file on your desktop, then thats the public IP. In the dns records of your server you use the public IP as well.