DNS Issues

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by CoolCat, May 13, 2006.

1. CoolCat

CoolCat New Member

Just finished installing ISP Config and it works like a champ! I can log in and make updates, etc. as needed. I am having a problem with the DNS settings though. I created a site within ISP Config named site1 with the ip of the server box (192.168.0.100) From there I created 2 co-domains (server1.site1.com & server2.site1.com) Checking the DNS manager tab I have 3 DNS entries. (site1.com, server1.site1.com, & server2.site1.com) all pointing to my internal ip for the server (192.168.0.100) I then went and changed my nameservers for site1 where the domain was purchased (GoDaddy) and changed them to server1.site1.com & server2.site1.com I keep getting dns errors when trying to view my site www.site1.com

Is this a correct setup? Why am i receiving these errors?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Don't use local IP addresses for DNS records! IF you use local IP addresses, only people within your LAN can see your web sites.
    Go to the DNS Manager in ISPConfig and replace your local IP addresses with your router's public IP address.

3. CoolCat

CoolCat New Member

Just want to make sure I get this straight...

Under DNS manager tab I have three entries
    site1
    server1.site1.com
    server2.site2.com

Under the domain tab in the DNS manager they all have their respective (doa) along with the external ip address.
    Under the options tab in the DNS manager they all have the external ip address as the nameservers.
    Under the records tab in the DNS manager they all have the external ip address under their A and MX records.

Am i missing something?

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes.

sVXgNJnLUnder the options tab in the DNS manager they all have the external ip address as the nameservers.[/QUOTE]No, not IP addresses, but FQDNs like ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com.
    sVXgNJnLUnder the records tab in the DNS manager they all have the external ip address under their A and MX records.
    [/QUOTE]
    Yes, IP addresses for the A records, but FQDNs for MX records.
    Have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/traditional_dns_howto