DNS MX Records

Discussion in 'General' started by ltebay, Mar 5, 2006.

1. ltebay

ltebay New Member

Thanks to ISP Config I'm moving from the Microsoft world to the Linux world.

I'm about to stop using the DNS service on my Windows 2000 server and switch to my new ISPConfig box. Both my servers are behind a firewall with port 53 (tcp/udp) currently forwarding to my Windows box. I was about to switch this when I thought I'd take a quick nslookup to see if everything was working on the ISPConfig machine.

When I do an NSLookup (all records) of a particular domain of my Windows box I get the following

Answer Section:
    nextreformation.com, A, 216.197.193.198
    nextreformation.com, NS, ns1.prairiefusion.com
    nextreformation.com, NS, grace.theheresy.com
    nextreformation.com, SOA, grace.theheresy.com, admin (Serial=2006030209, Refresh=15m, Retry=10m, Expire=1d, Minimum=1h)
    nextreformation.com, MX, 10, mail.nextreformation.com
    Additional Records Section:
    ns1.prairiefusion.com, A, 216.197.193.198
    grace.theheresy.com, A, 69.11.119.133
    mail.nextreformation.com, A, 216.197.193.198

When I do an NSLookup (all records) of the ISPConfig Box I get the following
    Answer Section:
    nextreformation.com, A, 216.197.193.198
    nextreformation.com, SOA, grace.theheresy.com, root.localhost (Serial=2006030502, Refresh=8h, Retry=2h, Expire=7d, Minimum=1d)
    nextreformation.com, NS, ns1.prairiefusion.com
    nextreformation.com, NS, grace.theheresy.com

I'm wondering why the MX record isn't coming up even though I have it set up. This is how it looks in the ISPConfig DNS Administrator.

CNAME
    Hostname Target
    www nextreformation.com

MX
    Mailserver Hostname
    mail.nextreformation.com nextreformation.com

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The hostname in the mx record must be empty. If you put nextreformation.com as hostname for the MX, it will result in an MX record for email addresses like: [email protected]

The hostname in the MX in ISPConfig shall be always empty, except you have email addresses like [email protected], then the hostname of the MX record must be "country".