DNS - named will not start ??

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by brainz, Mar 8, 2007.

1. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Any errors in your mail log?

2. m1_davidson

m1_davidson New Member

Hi Falko,

In relation to the issue with mail attachments, this is part of what I get:

May 28 00:02:12 res postfix/smtp[2226]: 9241292877E: to=<[email protected]>, relay=mailhost.zen.co.uk[212.23.3.98]:25, delay=113779, delays=113593/0.16/0.37/185, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (conversation with mailhost.zen.co.uk[212.23.3.98] timed out while sending message body)
    May 28 00:49:06 res postfix/qmgr[2211]: 29568928784: from=<[email protected]>, size=1599287, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    May 28 00:49:06 res postfix/qmgr[2211]: 97740928783: from=<[email protected]>, size=7619236, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    May 28 00:49:06 res postfix/smtp[3329]: certificate verification failed for mailhost.zen.co.uk: num=19:self signed certificate in certificate chain
    May 28 00:49:06 res postfix/smtp[3330]: certificate verification failed for mailhost.zen.co.uk: num=19:self signed certificate in certificate chain

If you require, I can PM my entire maillog file.

Thanks.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

This seems to be the problem. I'd try to contact the admin of mailhost.zen.co.uk and ask why the connection times out when oyu send an attachment.

4. rokx

rokx New Member

In my case, ISPConfig wrote changes to named.conf~ and named was loading the named.conf.
    So i had to rename named.conf~ to named.conf.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The file with the ~ at the end is a backup file, ispconfig is not writing to it. Maybe you updated named and the pacakge installer of your linux distribution made this backup.

6. rokx

rokx New Member

It could be that.

7. cvgeeks

cvgeeks New Member

Error in dns

I too had this problem except in my situation the problem started after I removed the IP address in the " IP LIST" Field. Once I removed my secondary IP and rebooted the server named was nolonger running.

I went through the items listed in this thread seeing if any of them applied to my situation and heres what I found:

1. In ISPCONFIG under "Management" "Server" "Settings" on the "DNS" tab in zone files directory it was listed wrong it was showing: /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/web/multidoc/edit
    and I knew that it needed to be:
    /var/named/chroot/var/named
    however no matter how many times I tried it would not stick! So I rememberd that when I was going through the process of adding my second IP I turned "Automatic Networking" on. and I turned NetworkManager off. So I reveresed the process restarted the server went back into ISPCONFIG and changed my DNS DIR back to its original and this time it stuck!
    Then I created an entry in my dns and it stuck as well. Then I restarted named and it stayed on.

Problem solved: I hope this helps someone troubleshooting their issue in the future.