DNS on a second server without a cluster

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Jason Martin, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Jason Martin

Jason Martin New Member

Greetings everyone,

I have been using ispconfig for personal websites for many years. I have always used my providers DNS servers which have never been a problem for me.

I am an independent IT Consultant and some of my clients would like to move their website to a provider that they can trust.

My main concern would be hosting my own DNS servers. I know I can do this no problem with a single ispconfig setup. However I want to have multiple levels of redundancy.

Would I have to setup a second ispconfig server, and basically starting from scratch on the main server to make it a master node in the cluster.

Or is there an easier way without having to use ispconfig and / or manually creating duplicate zone files on each slave dns server. This technology is new to me but I am quick to learn so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You

Jason

2. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Just install a 2nd server (if you need dns only, you can skip a lot of packages), use the expoert-mode during ispconfig install and let the server join an existing installation.

3. Jason Martin

Jason Martin New Member

So I won't have to do the expert install on both servers? Just the one (or multiples) that I want to have duplicate name servers on?

4. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Just on the server that should join your existing setup. You don't have to reinstall the master-server. If you added a dns to your existing setup, set for ns2 "mirror of"

fatmike likes this.
  5. Jason Martin

Jason Martin New Member

Much appreciated with the help florian030. I will let you know if I have any problems.

Keep up the excellent work guys!