Dns question

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Mahir, Nov 7, 2005.

1. CJMostert

CJMostert New Member

Back again, Please Help

Hallo. Sorry for not comming back I had loads of stuff to do and only got round to get on with my Linux server. I still have the same problem, Named does not start and the system just hangs. I tried removing ISPConfig and reinstalling it but n Joy. I tried removing Bind and readd it No Joy. So here is my Named.Config

Code:
    options {
            pid-file "/var/named/chroot/var/run/named/named.pid";
            directory "/var/named/chroot/var/named";
            auth-nxdomain no;
            /*
             * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
             * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
             * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
             * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
             * port by default.
             */
            // query-source address * port 53;
    };
    //
    // a caching only nameserver config
    //
    zone "." {
            type hint;
            file "named.ca";
    };
    zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
            type master;
            file "named.local";
    };
    zone "41.86.81.in-addr.arpa" {
            type master;
            file "pri.41.86.81.in-addr.arpa";
    };
    zone "BlaBla-MySiteAddress.com" {
            type master;
            file "pri.BlaBla-MySiteAddress.com";
    };
    zone "BlaBla-MySiteAddress.com/SubSite/" {
            type master;
            file "pri.BlaBla-MySiteAddress.com/SubSite/";
    };

//// MAKE MANUAL ENTRIES BELOW THIS LINE! ////

I do not have a SYSLog but my Message file has this:
    Code:
    Sep 16 21:58:46 webserv1 hcid[1411]: Can't open system message bus connection: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused
    Sep 16 21:58:47 webserv1 hcid[1411]: Can't open system message bus connection: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused
    Sep 16 22:02:49 webserv1 hpiod: ParDevice::nibble_read failed: Input/output error 
    Sep 16 22:03:53 webserv1 avahi-daemon[1974]: Failed to read service directory.

This is the only lines that fail.

And when I tried Step 7 in the Perfect setup guid for Fedora 5 to install Bind9 i get:
    Code:
    [root@webserv1 named]# ln -s ../../ chroot
    ln: creating symbolic link `chroot/..' to `../../': File exists

This happens even if i did remove/uninstall Bind from my server

Please help.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

This means that the symbolic link is already existing, so this is fine.

Do you get error messages when you restart Bind? What's the output of
    Code:
    netstat -tap
    ?

3. CJMostert

CJMostert New Member

Code:
    /etc/init.d/named restart
    Stopping named: [FAILED]
    Starting named:

It just hangs at this stage and neer get started

netstat - tap give:

Code:
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address               Foreign Address             State       PID/Program name
    tcp        0      0 *:mysql                     *:*                         LISTEN      1759/mysqld
    tcp        0      0 *:sunrpc                    *:*                         LISTEN      1352/portmap
    tcp        0      0 webserv1.MySite.:50000 *:*                         LISTEN      1600/hpiod
    tcp        0      0 webserv1.MySite.:50002 *:*                         LISTEN      1605/python
    tcp        0      0 webserv1.MySite.co:ipp *:*                         LISTEN      1618/cupsd
    tcp        0      0 *:52952                     *:*                         LISTEN      1372/rpc.statd
    tcp        0      0 *:smtp                      *:*                         LISTEN      1850/master
    tcp        0      0 webserv1.MySite.:46182 webserv1.MySite.co:ipp TIME_WAIT   -
    tcp        0      0 webserv1.MySite.:54682 webserv1.MySite.:50000 ESTABLISHED 1605/python
    tcp        0      0 webserv1.MySite.:50000 webserv1.MySite.:54682 ESTABLISHED 1600/hpiod
    tcp        0      0 <internalIP Address>x.x.x.x:50603           <someIP Address>x.x.x.x:http          ESTABLISHED 2329/firefox-bin
    tcp        0      0 *:imaps                     *:*                         LISTEN      1788/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:pop3s                     *:*                         LISTEN      1788/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:pop3                      *:*                         LISTEN      1788/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:imap                      *:*                         LISTEN      1788/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:http                      *:*                         LISTEN      1885/httpd
    tcp        0      0 *:ftp                       *:*                         LISTEN      1862/proftpd: (acce
    tcp        0      0 *:ssh                       *:*                         LISTEN      1648/sshd
    tcp        0      0 *:https                     *:*                         LISTEN      1885/httpd

BTW:
    I have Changed my named.config by removing mySite and mySite-SubSite sections (2 bottom sections) and I got named restarted ok... Not sure why?!
    Will try to reboot my server now and see if it boots ok.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  4. CJMostert

CJMostert New Member

Setup of a Mail Server

Yea!! :cool: my server restarted with no errors!!
    Now i just have to get the mail server side setup. I am trying to go throught the ISPConfig manual but am strugeling. I do not want to use this server for hosting at this stage... BUT will use it later for hosting also, All i want now is to get my mail up and running. Any quick guid on how to do this.

Thanx

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig is a webhosting controlpanel, you can not create email accounts without creating a website.

The steps are:

1) Create a client
    2) Create a website
    3) Add email users

6. CJMostert

CJMostert New Member

Ok, this is the situation:
    I have 1 webaddress assigned to my name: www.<MySite>.com this is registered at DYNDNS.com
    I have a Windows server currently hosting my website and a Linux Fedora 5 server than i want to use as a Mail server and later maybe move my Windows hosted site to my Linux server as well.

1. Do I need to something with the DNS side on ISPConfig? (Remember i have only 1 Linux server and it only has 1 IP address)
    2. Do i HAVE to host the Windows Hosted site on thelinux box to get mail to work.
    3. My question is still HOW do i get the mail to work (I am trying to understand the ISPConfig documentation but i am strugeling.)

Thank you

7. till

1) no.
    2) no.
    3) Have you done the three steps I posted above? Just do it and you will see that it works.

8. CJMostert

CJMostert New Member

Thanx for the answers.

I created the customer, and tried to add a site for this customer but is says:
    Code:
     The name www.<MySite>.com is already in use by another site or domain.
    What now?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  9. till

This means that you have already created a site with the same domain. Domains are unique. If you deleted the old site, make sure you emptied the recycle bin too.

10. CJMostert

CJMostert New Member

I got it working!!!!!!!!!!!:D Thanx guys!!!!
    It does seem to take a long time to save the data and even allow UebiMiau! client to log on, could this be speeded up? and why is it so slow?

Now I would like to know how do i get my clients to connect to this mail server if they use a external mail client... lets say thunderbird or OutlookExperss or something like that??

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  11. till

How long does it take on your server?

Just enter the domain name as mailserver in outlook and enable "server requires authentication" in the smtp settings from outlook, thats all :)

12. CJMostert

CJMostert New Member

I never timed it but it seams like between 1 and 5 minutes :mad:

It is just a problem when i try to add lots of mail boxes with all teir settings... I can however live with thant.

One bug tough: :eek:
    I hat 1 site <MySite.com> and setted up a few mailboxes ([email protected])... all working
    Then i changed the domain <USEMySite.com> and all went ok on the save but all of a sudden the webmail did not recognise [email protected] (could not log on eventhough the pass was correct) but still wanted [email protected]. :confused:
    I thought if I changed the domain after a few mailboxd that the existing mailboxes would have changed as well.

Another Question:
    How do I start a service (lets say MyService in path /usr/local/MyServiceDir ) to run under user MyUser (I am loged on as some other user) and get it to run/start automatically when my server reboot

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  13. Rocky

Rocky Member

Just set up Outlook Express as you would for normal mail accounts. Make sure you use the part before the @ sign for the username. Also, make sure you check "Server requires authentication" in the smtp settings.

14. till

The username is not nescessarily th part before the @, you must use the username you set in ISPConfig, this username has normally the form web[ID]_user.

15. CJMostert

CJMostert New Member

Small Bug & a Question

One bug tough:
    I had 1 site <MySite.com> and setted up a few mailboxes ([email protected])... all working
    Then i changed the domain <USEMySite.com> and all went ok on the save but all of a sudden the webmail did not recognise [email protected] (could not log on eventhough the pass was correct) but still wanted [email protected].
    I thought if I changed the domain after a few mailboxd that the existing mailboxes would have changed as well.

Another Question:
    How do I start a service (lets say MyService in path /usr/local/MyServiceDir ) to run under user MyUser (I am loged on as some other user) and get it to run/start automatically when my server reboot

16. till

Did you change the co-domain of the website (the one with the empty host field) too?

To start services at boot time, create a init script and add symlinks to the runlevel where you want to start your service.

Many daemons can drop priveliges themself, if not you might be able to switch to another user with su before you start your daemon.

17. CJMostert

CJMostert New Member

I actualy do not think I did this. :( Will remember to do this next time.

Man you r very clever!! The problem is that My Linux experience is outdated by 7 years and only got a server up and running a few weeks back as you know by your help!!
    So eventhough I understand what you are talking about I do not know how the solution would look like, i.e. how does such a init file / script should look like, and how do I do symlinks, etc., etc. :confused:

18. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can have a look at the other init scripts in /etc/init.d.
    Which distribution do you use?

Creating a symlink goes like that:
    Code:
    ln -s /path/to/target /path/to/symlink

19. CJMostert

CJMostert New Member

Thank you, Falko!

I remember this type of line from you set up of ISPConfig I will have a look at your ISPConfig set up again as well as the scripts in the given path. I am using Fedora 5 as per perfect set up according to the webtutorial. Thank you very much! :)

20. CJMostert

CJMostert New Member

MX and DynDNS

Hallo again.

All About MX:
    I have baught my host names from/at DynDns.
    1. Do I need to add a MX record at them as I use ISPConfig and do run a DNS server?
    2. If the answer is no to Q1 then: Would it matter If I did add a MX record at them?
    3. AND if I had to add a MX record what would my Mail server name be (I do run a mail server as I did the ISP Config setup you provided).

All About DNS:
    1. Would my data held on my DNS server get updated by Other DNS servers?
    2. If yes How would I see this update, can I look ata file / DB Table to see if it is updated?
    3. Would the records in my DNS server be pushed out to other DNS servers to update them?

Thanx Guys