Dns question

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Mahir, Nov 7, 2005.

1. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Have you bought just the domains from dyndns or have you bought managed DNS from them so you use their DNS servers to create your A-Records pointing to your server?

2. CJMostert

CJMostert New Member

Halo

They do the DNS thing for me as well.

Thanx

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Then you must create all records on DynDNS' nameservers. Don't use ISPConfig's DNS Manager then.

4. CJMostert

CJMostert New Member

Slow Mail

Halo again.

Reacently my mail seemed to be 24 hour late. I can send mail AOK from my mail server and it does go through very quickly to the outside world, But when i send mail from outside to the internal mail server it seems to be +- 24 hours late?

Any idea??

It was not always like this but just recently.

5. till

Please check that your system date is correct with the "date" command.

6. CJMostert

CJMostert New Member

My date on my system is OK. I did check

as i said:
    1. If I send mail from with in my network to an outside address the mail gets their very quickly

2. If I send mail from an outside mail account like hotmail or google mail the mail takes 24 houst to get on the server. This is I send mail from Hotmail or GMail NOW and this mail I just sent will only get on my server by tomorrow. why is this?

7. till

Please send an email to your server from outside and search the mail log on your server for the time when the mail arrives. Did it arrive instantly and you can frtch it with your mailclient 24 hours later or does the first line in the logfile for this mail appears 24 hours later on your server. Then it is a external problem.

8. CJMostert

CJMostert New Member

Check mail log

Ummm I am not sure how to check the mail logs?? Do i do this from a command line and what file do i check or dos ISPConfig provide this function??

Thanx

9. till

You will have to use the commandline for that.

The command "tail" can be used to get the last lines of the logfile. Example:

tail -n 100 /var/log/mail

shows you the last 100 lines of the file /var/log/mail