DNS Records Differences

Discussion in 'General' started by kendel, Oct 20, 2010.

1. kendel

kendel New Member

Are all DNS Record virtually the same? In terms of templates?

How would I export a DNS Record I created into a Template for later use?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second questions:

When I create a Database using ISPConfig and a Database user ans password.... I tried to login into Phpmyadmin and the user doesn't exist and the database doesn't exist as well...

(I logged into my admin account and it wasn't there...)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  2. Toucan

Toucan Member

You can make a new DNS template. The template can use more or less of the control panel fields. If for example you wanted the IP address to always be the same, you could uncheck IP address on the template, then copy the code below. Replace {IP} with you IP address you want to always use. You can see I've done this for the first A record.

Now when you create new DNS zones using the wizard, select the name of your new template to use. You should see the IP field is missing. When you create the zone it should create records using your standard IP address.

Code:
    [ZONE]
    origin={DOMAIN}.
    ns={NS1}.
    mbox={EMAIL}.
    refresh=28800
    retry=7200
    expire=604800
    minimum=86400
    ttl=86400

[DNS_RECORDS]
    A|{DOMAIN}.|93.26.167.2|0|86400
    A|www|{IP}|0|86400
    A|mail|{IP}|0|86400
    A|ftp|{IP}|0|86400
    NS|{DOMAIN}.|{NS1}.|0|86400
    NS|{DOMAIN}.|{NS2}.|0|86400
    MX|{DOMAIN}.|mail.{DOMAIN}.|10|86400
    This works for me! No guarantee for you. ;)

3. kendel

kendel New Member

Thank you it worked like a charm...

4. kendel

kendel New Member

Are there any plans to start adding a grouping option... Example Emails.. If you have more than one Websites and more than one emails for each website...The list displays all of them, no form of grouping used... It would be a nice feature to see grouping by sites, etc..:D

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

We have implemented the filter option in the header of the lists to allow you to group the records. E.f. enter domain.tld in the filter field and you get all records shown for that domain.

6. kendel

kendel New Member

Ok cool.... Thank you

How do I know if phpmyadmin is creating the database...

When I do it through control panel it shows...

but when I log into phpmyadmin its not there....

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Looks as if you changed the mysql root password after the ispconfig installation without changing it in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf.

8. kendel

kendel New Member

I followed the directions completely... I will check that file....

But I noticed phpmyadmin only shows me 'localhost' when i log into it....

Is there a way to get to mysql by web address?

9. kendel

kendel New Member

I checked all server and they all say this:

<?php

$clientdb_host = 'localhost';
    $clientdb_user = 'root';
    $clientdb_password = 'samething';

?>

10. Toucan

Toucan Member

Phpmyadmin once grouped the db in a way I wasn't use to seeing and I didn't think the db existed - but it had! Try logging into phpmyadmin using the name and password you used when creating the db.

11. kendel

kendel New Member

I used the create db through ISPConfig 3 and created a dbuser and dbpassword.... then I logged into phpmyadmin with my admin account... it wasn;t created....then I tried loggin in with the dbuser and it was invalid

There is no master slave configuration fro the db server and the webserver (following the ubuntu multiserver setup) I tested that the db created in ISPConfig does get created on the db server...however the phpmyadmin only connected to the localhost which is the webserver and does not pull any information from the db server...

Am I suppose to do more tweaking or did I miss a setting?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  12. Toucan

Toucan Member

Sorry, I think I misunderstood your problem.

Are you saying the db server is different to that where phpmyadmin is?

Till is far better suited to help, but have you tried connecting to the db on the same server from the command line?

13. kendel

kendel New Member

14. kendel

kendel New Member

I had to do some things backwards, I went into the vi /etc/phpmyadmin/config.inc.php

of the webserver and added a new connection for the database server as well as the drop down menu.......

then I had to log into the db server and grant privilages to the web server to be able to connect to it....

Now i can connect to the db server with phpmyadmin and I see the databases ISPConfig created....

Seems I am missing a log out button though, which is weird...

-----------------

Till, I believe the guide might need some adjusting.....lol

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010