DNS stuff (bind cfg and theory)

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Ovidiu, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

hi guys,

I registered a domain name ending with .ro - during registration I was asked to enter DNS, I entered my IP for both primary and secondary.
    now I got this email confirming that my request is being processed:

now what needs to be done with ispconfig? I guess I need to add a new site pointing to webspace, with the name newdomain.ro and tick DNS so dns records will be set up.

is that all? I do not really know much about DNS, is there a link to a good site explaining DNS theory? I only know the "basics" about DNS and mx records, thats it. I mean I know you can't summarize it all in a few sentences but I just need a general overview, maybe an explanation of the terms used like zones, zone transfer, etc.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

It's not necessary that you create a new web site, but you should create DNS records for that domain under DNS Manager. That's all you have to do.

3. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

kind off ;-)
    if I start creating a new DNS record it asks me a lot of questions, if I create a new site (which I also will need as I said I registered this new domain) it will not ask me anything except the domain details I have to fill in anyway.
    Besides was this right : I entered my IP for both primary and secondary ?

4. falko

Where did you enter it?

5. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I can guess where you are aiming from your tone alone...

I entered my IP as 1. + 2. DNS during registrations, now I had a look at the DNS entry on my server and there are the 2 nameserevrs of my provider entered as DNS so I guess its all fine.

If I understod this right: all computers asking for my domain will get my IP as DNS => when they arrive at my domain they will be "connected" to the net using the NS of my provider ? So I am acting like a cache ? Is this right? if not really could you maybe sum it up in 1-2 sentences?

6. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

now I recently tried to register another .ru domain and during registration they asked about nameservernames and IPs and sent me an email explaininmg that they need the nameservers of my server - which I did not understand, I mean if I give them the nameservers of my host, he wil know nothing about my new domain, I guess again I have to give them my IP for 1st. and 2nd NS but what about the NS names which they want???

how do you guys handle this stuff?

P.S. this would be quite urgent, so please somebody give me some hints.

7. falko

I guess you have to create the proper DNS records first before you register the domains, and when you register the domain, you tell them those name servers where you created the records (e.g. ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com).

8. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

when you say I should create the dns records, do you mean I should make a new site in my ispcfg panel, say create dns and thats it? I guess I can look up the created information in the DNS manager of ispcfg, right? But what about the ns ? I mean I can only give my servername or IP?

what about this ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com stuff where should that info come from?

9. falko

10. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

thank you ;-)

that link pretty much explained exactly what I was asking for. BUT I asked on the 8th and the other guy, two days later so I did not do a search on the topic again.
    The last thing I am unsure about is this:lets say I do not use a dedicated NS instead I just let my webserver be a NS too, can I just use the servername like hxxxx.serverkompetenz.net (which resolves to my IP) instead of the usual naming convention aka ns.myserver.com ?

11. falko

Yes, should be ok.

12. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I tried to test the DNS records of one of the domains I am offering NS for locally on my server at: http://www.dnsreport.com/
    and it reported this error:

when registering the domain I gave my hostname and IP as NS, which is ok so far, the above IPs are the nameservers I have set in the /etc/resolve.conf (I think this is the file where the nameservers for my server are listed...) should I enter their names there instead of the IPs?

13. falko

81.169.163.106 and 81.169.163.104 are Strato name servers! When you register the domain, you have to set your own name servers as authoritative name servers for the domain!

14. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I did that.
    I set up hxxxx.serverkompetenz.net (my servername) as the authoritative NS for my domain. Still when doing the test I get the above error, the domain I am talking about is zice.ro (test it here: h**p://w*w.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=zice.ro )

15. falko

I did a
    Code:
    dig zice.ro
    This doesn't look ok:
    Code:
    ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    zice.ro.                10800   IN      NS      zice.ro.
    It's the hen <-> egg problem.

Please post your zone file. Under Debian it must be something like /etc/bind/pri.zice.ro.

16. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

$TTL 86400
    @ IN SOA 81.169.163.104. admin.zice.ro. (
    2005112301 ; serial, todays date + todays serial #
    28800 ; refresh, seconds
    7200 ; retry, seconds
    604800 ; expire, seconds
    86400 ) ; minimum, seconds
    ;
    NS 81.169.163.104. ; Inet Address of name server 1
    NS 81.169.163.106. ; Inet Address of name server 2
    ;

MX 10 mail.

zice.ro. A 81.169.176.18
    www A 81.169.176.18
    mail A 81.169.176.18

;;;; MAKE MANUAL ENTRIES BELOW THIS LINE! ;;;;

17. falko

You have put the Strato name servers into that file instead of your hxxx.serverkompetenz.net server. Try to change that.

18. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

sorry I don't understand that. I Have the strato NS inside its the ...104 and ...106 IPs, my hxxxx.serverkompetenz.net is nowhere inside this file as you can see.

except here, but its ok here as I have understood:
    zice.ro. A 81.169.176.18
    www A 81.169.176.18
    mail A 81.169.176.18

You just left me with a big questionmark on my face???

19. falko

Your file should look like this:

Code:
    $TTL 86400
    @ IN SOA [B]hxxx.serverkompetenz.net[/B]. admin.zice.ro. (
    2005112301 ; serial, todays date + todays serial #
    28800 ; refresh, seconds
    7200 ; retry, seconds
    604800 ; expire, seconds
    86400 ) ; minimum, seconds
    ;
    NS [B]hxxx.serverkompetenz.net[/B]. ; Inet Address of name server 1
    NS [B]hxxx.serverkompetenz.net[/B]. ; Inet Address of name server 2
    ;

MX 10 mail.

zice.ro. A 81.169.176.18
    www A 81.169.176.18
    mail A 81.169.176.18

;;;; MAKE MANUAL ENTRIES BELOW THIS LINE! ;;;;
    So somewhere in your ISPConfig settings you have entered the IP addresses of Strato's name servers instead of hxxx.serverkompetenz.net.

20. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

*doh*
    I was stupid ;-) got it working now, thx