DNS stuff (bind cfg and theory)

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Ovidiu, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

:mad: still some more questions and errors:

question:

Does that look right? Or should it be like this:

errors:

have a look at the recent changes of the report here: http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=zice.ro

###edit###

I found out this is right:
    but now I stumbled upon the SPF records, found a wizard here: http://www.openspf.org/wizard.html?mydomain=zice.ro&a=yes&mx=yes&ptr=no&a_colon=&mx_colon=&ip4_colon=&include=&all=yes&record_so_far=%22v%3Dspf1+a+mx+%7Eall%22&use_built_from_args=1

but the results differ from the results of ispcfg.

The wizards results:
    while ispcfg comes up only with this:

Sorry for all these, maybe dumb, questions but once I stumble opun a thing I can't rest until its (perfectly) finished ;-)

Btw. does anyone here use a DNS provider he can recommend?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

It can be

Code:
    MX 10 mail.zice.ro.

zice.ro. A 81.169.176.18
    www.zice.ro. A 81.169.176.18
    mail.zice.ro. A 81.169.176.18
    (note the dot at the end of each FQDN!!!)

or
    Code:
    MX 10 mail

zice.ro. A 81.169.176.18
    www A 81.169.176.18
    mail A 81.169.176.18
    if you want to use relative host names. Please have a look here:
    http://langfeldt.net/DNS-HOWTO/BIND-9/

Why don't you create three SPF records in ISPConfig, like the ones the wizards proposes?

For my technical domain I'm using DirectI's ( http://www.directi.com/ ) DNS manager.

3. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

thx for the tips,

I partly managed to fix it but it was tricky to do, if one does not really know what is to be filled in in the ispcfg... the field have different names than used in other tools / other how-to s

I figured out how to create this

this:
    I already had, but I have no clue how to create the last one:
    AND there seems to be some error somewhere (doesn't have to be ispcfg)... all of a sudden, that online-dns test did not work anymore, I had a look in the control panel and all looked normal, but when having a look into the pri.zice.ro file I saw there was a "." after MX 10 mail => MX 10 mail. which did not work. I manually deleted it and hopefully it will stay away ;)

Still I have no clue as to what stealth ns are, I am going to read your link to the how to know, thx

4. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

sorry, probs again after reinstalling server mith my NS records. could anyone post a working pri.xxxxx file here? including mx records and SPF records? you can take out IP addresses or hostnames,

thx

and on the other hand a dns report on zice.ro gives me this:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  5. falko

Here you go:

Code:
    $TTL        86400
    @       IN      SOA     ns5.example.com. hostmaster.example.com. (
                            2004122103       ; serial, todays date + todays serial #
                            28800              ; refresh, seconds
                            7200              ; retry, seconds
                            604800              ; expire, seconds
                            86400 )            ; minimum, seconds
    ;
                    NS      ns5.example.com.              ; Inet Address of name server 1
                    NS      ns6.example.com.              ; Inet Address of name server 2
    ;

MX      10 mail.test.de.

test.de.      A        1.2.3.4
    www       A       1.2.3.4
    mail       A       1.2.3.4

test.de. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx ~all"

;;;; MAKE MANUAL ENTRIES BELOW THIS LINE! ;;;;

6. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

ok thx. but how would it look like with 2 nameservers? I tried to put hxxxx.serverkompetenz.net and mail.zice.ro as nameservers, does not work, I do not really know how to input this into ispconfig panel...

heres my pri.zice.ro

besides that do you have any clue why the test above said I have an open dns server? I did all according to the debian perfect setup...

and have a look at your example:
    my record does not have the IN ? why would that be missing?

7. falko

You must enter your two name servers under Management -> Server -> Settings -> DNS.

That's ok. It means that everyone can use your nameserver to resolve domain names, like you can use nameservers of different providers for your computers.

Bind understands both formats (with and without IN).

8. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I am sorry I have confused you, what I meant was not 2 DNS servers but 2 MX servers. I tried entering values manually as well as using the cfp panel but I am not sure what is expected if I want to add mail.zice.ro as mailserver - what to enter into hostname and what into mailserver... its a bit confusing to me, sorry.

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you want to add MX records in ISPConfig DNS-Manager, leave the hostname field blank and anter the domain of your mailserver in the mailserver field.