Document Root

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mlucool, Jun 4, 2006.

1. mlucool

mlucool New Member

I followed the howto to set up a server using ubuntu. I have used dreamweaver to connect using my usr_name/pass. I realized that was not where ispconig was looking so it changed Document root to /home/usr/www where all the files are. When I did this nothing changed and when i got to my site I still see the same page as I would if it were still /var/www.
    Any ideas how to fix this so it looks at /home/usr_name/www to find my site?

I have just tried to edit the httpd.conf in the isp config folder and change document root to /home/user_name/www, and restarted the server and still it did not work.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Have you created your site in ISPConfig? You can not use existing sites or folder trees with ISPConfig!

3. mlucool

mlucool New Member

The site is the main admin one. Its not for an exisiting site, its for the one hosted by the admin user.

What do you mean by created my site with ispconfig?

The site shows up correctly when I go to /var/www. I want it to work with /home/usr_name because otherwise I have to be root and ssh in to update the site then, instead of just using my username and password which is bad.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Did you install ISPConfig (because you created this thread in the ISPConfig forum)?

5. mlucool

mlucool New Member

Yes I did. I didnt see there was an ispconfig forum. Followed the directions exactly. My problem is I can not change the document root from what I set it to in installation.

6. till

You can change the document root for all sites in ISPConfig under management > server > settings.

The directory structure for the websites inside the main docroot is created automatically by ISPConfig and con not be changed.

7. mlucool

mlucool New Member

I changed the document root. So your saying for the main site I can not change its document root since it is the main one?

8. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

No, Till didn't say anything about a main site. He said you can change the main docroot (e.g. from /home/www to /var/www) in which all your sites are created.

9. mlucool

mlucool New Member

But the problem is I did change the Document root under server settings and it still does not look in the right place to start. It still looks in /var/www instead of /home/user_name even tho I changed document root to be /home/user_name.

That is my problem and I cant seem to fix it.

10. till

Why do you want to change it to /home/user_name? It is not a good idea to have all websites from all users in the home directory of one user.

11. mlucool

mlucool New Member

I am the only one using it. Its a personal server. Its very annoying to test since I must use dreamweaver with my name and load the files. Then I have to ssh in to the server and copy all files over to see if they even work.

12. till

ISPConfig is a controlpanel that is made for hosting companies. You may use it for your home server as well, but dont try to map it to your personal user directory as thsi will mess up user permissions when ISPConfig creates new FTP users.

It makes no sense to have the root of websites with different system users inside the home directory of a system user.

13. mlucool

mlucool New Member

ok. thanks.