Does main.cf get overwritten on ISPconfig update?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jkounis, Jul 17, 2014.

1. jkounis

jkounis New Member

I changed /etc/postfix/main.cf after installing ISPConfig 3. When I update ISPConfig, will the changes I made in main.cf get overwritten?

I can't find any file in the /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf_custom directory that lets me customize main.cf.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

To customize main.cf, make a new folder /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf-custom/install/ where you store the modified version of the *_postfix.conf.master (e.g. debian_postfix.conf.master) from install/tpl/ folder of the ispconfig tar.gz file.

3. jkounis

jkounis New Member

conf_custom customization of install/tpl files

Thank you! This is precisely what I was looking for. When I first found the conf_custom directory, I assumed only files from /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf could be placed there. The capability of customizing files in the install/tpl directory greatly increases the usefulness of the conf_custom feature.

I was in the process of evaluating ISPConfig against a couple of other options and this feature just made the decision for me. ISPConfig does everything I need it to. I'm truly impressed with its extensive capabilities. There is no other comparable software product out there (at least for using nginx natively as a web server.

May I suggest a chapter in the ISPConfig user manual addressing the use of conf_custom?